Ornate bichir

ryan

Hi all,

After seeing that a 20+cm redtail giant gourami cost about $600 i thought i might give bichirs a go, i have looked through the other older posts but they seem to old to go by with pricing and all, so i was just wondering how much i would expect to pay for an ornate bichir, my lfs has offered to sell me one at 15cm for $250 so any opinions will be much appreciated.

cheers, ryan :thumbup:

Alot of lfs have ornates going for around $250-$350 for the 12-16cm mark I have seen lately.

At the moment I am having a near impossible time selling a 30cm female ornate, so I guess it's just a matter of what folks are after the whole supply Vs demand thing.

Cheers,

Brett

Yeah they are the "cute ugly"......like super models, though my partner and her friend insist on calling it the giant leopard male genitalia fish <_<

Looks like my big girl is off to a new home on monday though :thumbup:

yeh all i just bought one havent seen him eat besides go through the gravel which im worried he might swallow :( and yeh im with rat they look really cool wen they get bigger like prehistoric dinosuars imo.

:thumbup:

also dus anyone know wat is the best to feed them i wanna get the high back on him :clap

cheers, ryan

feed them hikari sinking carnovore pellets, they love it, i feed my endies and ornates this stuff and they have gorwn quite alot since i had them. high back i belive depends on the individual fish, just like short body ones in endiies. I have one with a high back and one without, both a tad over 30cm now

nick!

yeh all i just bought one havent seen him eat besides go through the gravel which im worried he might swallow :( and yeh im with rat they look really cool wen they get bigger like prehistoric dinosuars imo.

:thumbup:

also dus anyone know wat is the best to feed them i wanna get the high back on him :clap

cheers, ryan

interesting observation guys, ive got a few ornates and endies and to be honest i find it the other way around. the ornates seem more active and eager to take food while the endies seem to hind in the sand alot more and generally seem more shy.

im feeding carnivore pellets, supplemented by bloodworms and prawns. seems like we got the diet right but our fish behave differently.

growth rate on the ornates also seem faster, which from what i understand the endies are suppose to be the fast growing pigs. other bichir owners care to input?

cheers,

interesting observation guys, ive got a few ornates and endies and to be honest i find it the other way around. the ornates seem more active and eager to take food while the endies seem to hind in the sand alot more and generally seem more shy.

im feeding carnivore pellets, supplemented by bloodworms and prawns. seems like we got the diet right but our fish behave differently.

growth rate on the ornates also seem faster, which from what i understand the endies are suppose to be the fast growing pigs. other bichir owners care to input?

cheers,

LOL

Rat

i find ornates much slower growers, mine seemed to almost have stopped growing once they hit 30cm, my endies went from 12 cm to 30 cm in 6 months, theey are pigs very fast and agressive eaters, ornates are a bit shy often miss out on the food. I havnt got a short body type endi, maybe it is im not sure, it has a hunched back/high back where as the other one has a flat back, i currently keep them in with my discus so the water quality is always crystal clean and clear. I have unfortunately 2 male endies and 2 female ornates, no pairs :( , but i have to get rid of one of my endies soon and ornates as they are getting too big for thier tank. Feeding 4 large bichirs hikari sinking pellets can get very expensive, go through a pack a week eay if they wanted. i think the pic below is a good example of a short body

IPB Image

i think the pic below is a good example of a short body

IPB Image

Hey Nick that Endi is a great short body is that yours :thumbup:

I know what you mean they do eat some :B But I just love seeing there big fat stomachs lol.

Rat

that is a sweet and fat lookin endi mate i want one now :lol4:

cool pic :thumbup:

Was at a LFS(st johns) the other day and seen it was a closing down sale.Bloke had some small ornates he wanted to sell at $150 each so who evers after one of these should hurry and check it out!

Was at a LFS(st johns) the other day and seen it was a closing down sale.Bloke had some small ornates he wanted to sell at $150 each so who evers after one of these should hurry and check it out!

yeh mate i was there earlier he had alot of stuff for sale but the fish were cheap as, green aro for $550 only small though but he had a lot of cheap bichirs as well endis and amoured but unfortunetely for me that LFS is closing down this sunday and my pay week is next week :( also all is it that hard to run a successful Fish shop

cheers, Ryan :dntknw:

yeah i just been there, harldey anything left, silver aro 35 cm for $250 as well as a nice clown knife with 11 spots $250, RTG not for sale and tiger pleco sold, only thing left is a armoured bichir 12cm for $250, plenty of tanks and rackings though, damn i was just too late oh well.

nick!

yeh mate i was there earlier he had alot of stuff for sale but the fish were cheap as, green aro for $550 only small though but he had a lot of cheap bichirs as well endis and amoured but unfortunetely for me that LFS is closing down this sunday and my pay week is next week :( also all is it that hard to run a successful Fish shop

cheers, Ryan :dntknw:

yeah i just been there, harldey anything left, silver aro 35 cm for $250 as well as a nice clown knife with 11 spots $250, RTG not for sale and tiger pleco sold, only thing left is a armoured bichir 12cm for $250, plenty of tanks and rackings though, damn i was just too late oh well.

oh yeah that isnt a pic of my endie its from a endi site, http://www.endlichericlub.net/gallery/index.php

have a look some nice endies in there

nick!

Archived