Xenotilapia spilopterus

Bruce

Hey Bruce :clap

Spilopterous are sweet fish, most common xeno here but i think still one of the best.

You will find that they are allways displaying, mine never stop, when they really start displaying and also when they are spawning you will see a very distinct verticle stripe in their eyes looks cool.

If you let a bit of sunlight hit thE tanks you are in for a reall treat, the sun sends xenos nuts, full colour, displaying everywere, some start digging/clearing areas (not spilopterous) and generally it seems to be a bit of an aphrodiziac!!! :shock:

They will spawn when they are about 7-8cm, the male can get a small egg shoot, and will pair for the duration of the spawn, you will see em cruizing abouts together, then one morning she is chockers!

7-10 days later if you are lucky he will start holding them....

Hi Bruce,

Hope you don't mind I added some pics of what they should look like when mature adults, as Mick says they are a good Xeno. to have, another reason being is that they tend to hang mid water, and mostly go to the sand to spawn, this way you can have other sandsifters like flavs for example in the same tank. They also go very well with Cyp's. A very good Tang community fish to have.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

Grant

Awesome, they look great. Very similar to mine but mine don't have the black and white on their tail.

I'd love to get some flavipinnis aswell. They are beautiful. Yours looked great.

Bruce

Try tangy1, I got mine from him. You will not see them at lfs's I doubt it and if you did expect to pay a lot. You should keep them in groups.

Bruce

yep these guys make awsome community fish, one of the best i have ever had...

cost, $20-50 depending on size.

mine are from Kelvin aswell, and are the "Kipili" variety, there is atleast one other variety in OZ...

will try to get a newer pic of mine now all 10 are in the same tank, too much sun on them at the moment.

Goo dto see you are getting a few mouthfulls Grant, thats the other thing they have big broods >30 per spawn, but the fry tend to grow slow.

Spilopterous are good also for the fact they are less easily spooked compared to other sandsifters, flavs, melanogenies etc....

Hey Mick,

What's the other one here? I'd love to get a variety with the large black marking on the dorsal, these have a papilio look to them. Probably the Kipilli and Mabilibili are some of the best for colour IMO.

Also I think Kelvin may have some more coming through.

Grant

Archived