Port Jackson

hoges

I beleive people should be allowed to have them with special permitts.

Rarely will a port jackson shark reach 1.4m normally no more than reach 1m in length.

there is no reason one can't be keep well in aquaria.An 8x4x2 tank would be adequate.They are not a free swimming shark like the black tipped reef sharks in majestic aquariums.

they are bottom dweller that like to roam through rocky terrain.so if you had heaps of liverock and caves in the tank they will be fine.

Cheers

Brad

I love PJ's as well, but why not let 'em keep them? We all know what some aquarists have out there swimming in darkened fish rooms. Ultimately our hobby is about putting fish in jail, i'm fine with that. It's just hard though to put ANY fish in a glass box and then say "No, you can't put that fish in a glass box".

In this case if i had the tank i'd jump at the chance to keep one, they are awesome, but i'd catch a juvenile from the wild, (i live near good populations of 'em) and i'd return it when it had grown larger.

Im in WA, and im pretty sure PJs were protected here at some stage. Last i heard they were taken off the list. Now theyve protected wobbegong (carpet sharks) over here. Wobbies are another shark that end up in petshops as juveniles but get huge as adults. We used to spear them to eat until just recently when my mate was told about the new laws.

Ive got no problems with killing them to eat, as long as its done cleanly and humanely.

Cheers

Jordan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I am just posting a link to a pic of little sharky and the little baby pj that is developing at work.

more pics

The shark develops in a closed sealed egg until it opens at both ends and to allow water flow, this was around 3-4 weeks ago, from then on they have a good amount of resistence to bacteria which allows them to be taken out of the casing.

Cheers ben biggrin.gif

Archived