Eheim Jagers leaking?

MoliroMan

Hi guys!

We all know the old Jager heaters had problems with water leaking into the heater housing.

But with the new Eheim Jagers this problems should have been fixed once and for all.

Anyway, i have noticed a brand new 300W Eheim Jager has a lot of condensation, even water droplets around the area of where the LED light, lights up when it is on.

Has anyone else experienced this?

thx

Dave

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never owned a Jager, but was thinking of getting some in the future when I next replace my existing heaters...

I understand them to be the Rolls Royce of aquarium heaters, and the warranty period is pretty good too I think, right?

Anyway if yours is brand new I'd be taking it back to where you purchased it for an exchange. These heaters are advertised as being one of the few fully submersible heaters out there (the normal cheapies are not fully submersible and should have the top exposed which is why they often have condensation/leakage issues).

Keep us all informed please thumb.gif

Dave I have a new one that does the same thing. I understand they are not supposed to be fully submersed if you put the end of out of the water between the two lines at the top of the heater it should be OK.

Nigel, aren't these heaters meant to be fully submersible? So it shouldnt be leaking at the top anyway. I have a 300W jager and man these things are long!

Dave, are you going to take it back to the shop?

New Eheim/Jager heaters are fully Submersible

Old Jager heaters not so and they were the ones that had the faults that p#ssed us all off

I have 6 Eheim ones 1 with condensation 5 without

All operate correctly

If you feel you have a problem contact the retail store you purchased it from

and they should be able to exchange if faulty as the product carries a 3yr warranty

I think the problem you are mentioning has nothing to do with the old historic problem

Lets us know how you go with returning it

Cheers

Craig

I have a new 300w eheim jager....and it has a tiny bit of condensation. Its not really an issue, most heaters will develop that in the short or long term. Heaters arent 100% waterproof, might be 99.99%, ive had 4 heaters over the years, all of different brands....such as Rena, Tronic, Jager, all good brands, and every single one has suffered from condensation.

They all continue to work, it doesnt really affect them. None have died on me, ive just given some to my mates. And they are still working perfectly from what i hear with condensation. (as strange as that sounds)

Thats just my experiences with heaters.

i have an old eheim that i bought back in 1996, i have had it operating 24/7 since then fully submerged and its still going strong!

i recently bought a new one and it worked for a week and suddenly stopped working.

i still believe that if you can afford better quality to a certain extent, buy the Jager!

thanks guys for the quick responses!

only problem is my water level is so high in all my tanks there is no way i can keep the top out fo the water.

i can't remember where i bought this eheim jager and i don't know where i left the docket.

i noticed the condensation a few weeks after using it but it has developed more condensation to the point of water droplets inside the glass casing. I think it should be ok to use but was just worried about it.

i was hoping these new jagers will have none of these old problems since they are still quite expensive.

i must say unlike the cheaper brand heaters they do not crack if u forget to turned them off during a water change and put water on it.

Dave

I understand they are not supposed to be fully submersed

New Eheim/Jager heaters are fully Submersible

I still say if you put the end of it out the water it will be OK forget what it might say on the box.

Why do you say this Nigel? I reckon if these heaters are being sold and advertised as being fully submersible, then surely the consumer should be able to fully submerse them dntknw.gif

The main reason I am considering an upgrade to Jagers is the whole submersible issue. I'm like MoliroMan, I dont have room to expose the correct amount of my heaters so my cheapies are all submersed. If Jager is no more submersible than the $12 units then it seems pointless to leave my $500-odd dollars in my pocket and continue with the cheap units which are still working well despite the condensation issue.

thanks guys for the quick responses!

only problem is my water level is so high in all my tanks there is no way i can keep the top out fo the water.

i can't remember where i bought this eheim jager and i don't know where i left the docket.

i noticed the condensation a few weeks after using it but it has developed more condensation to the point of water droplets inside the glass casing. I think it should be ok to use but was just worried about it.

i was hoping these new jagers will have none of these old problems since they are still quite expensive.

i must say unlike the cheaper brand heaters they do not crack if u forget to turned them off during a water change and put water on it.

Dave

Dave can you check that you have a eheim manufactured Jager

The new ones have been in the market for about 18months

Just with you saying you dont remember where you brought from means you may have brought that over a year ago

Sometimes theres a old saying buyer beware ! some places didnt return there old stocks ans they were quite happy to keep selling while the new ones were being released

Eheim products in Australia changed distributor with the old distributor dumping a sh*t load into the market place

Cheers

Craig

I'll be ten years before I go near another Jagger heater again. And that's after ten years of good reports.

If there are comments here that state there is moister inside the NEW version of Jagger heaters, this is an issue. Heater should have NO moister inside them, and if it condenses on the glass, take into consideration how small a volume of air is inside them, then think about how much moisture you can see.

Days gone by Jaggers used to be the best on the market. Those days are history.

According to Eheim, these heaters are fully submersible. But if they are getting water in them, take Nigel's possition, and leave the end sticking out of the tank.

Craig

its really comes down to personal opinion and how much money u have, Jager is more accurate in reaching the temp that you want compare to some of the cheapest ones.

despite using one that broke down after one week, i would continue to use Jager because i know the replacement will last longer than 3 years, if it doesnt i will get one replaced for free again!

i just went to check out 5 of the heaters i have running and i notice all of them has abit of moisture in them. i haven't had any problems with heaters at all in 25 yrs except on 2 occasions i can remember, once a tronic which just broke down after a yr and this new jager i bought, so im guessing i got the unlucky one out of the thousands!

I've had one of the newer Eheim Jaeger heaters for about six months now. I have it fully submerged in my sump. It has condensation in the area around the indiator light. This appeared almost immediately, but the heater seems to run fine.

I was a little bit annoyed though, because I was led to believe that they were fully submersible.

Craig cool.gif

I know the old heaters where not supposed to be fully submersed it said that on the packaging.

I have one of the new ones and it has condensation around the on off light. The problem that can arise with condensation in the heater is the contacts on the thermostat can either jam on or off over time. So its a bit of a risk allowing it to happen.

I would guess that the rubber seal at the top of the heater is not that good so hence water getting inside. From my experience a lot of heaters do this even if they are submersible.

I'll be ten years before I go near another Jagger heater again.  And that's after ten years of good reports. 

If there are comments here that state there is moister inside the NEW version of Jagger heaters, this is an issue.  Heater should have NO moister inside them, and if it condenses on the glass, take into consideration how small a volume of air is inside them, then think about how much moisture you can see.

Days gone by Jaggers used to be the best on the market.  Those days are history.

According to Eheim, these heaters are fully submersible.  But if they are getting water in them, take Nigel's possition, and leave the end sticking out of the tank.

Craig

What heaters do you use then, Craig? I hear some good things about the Hydor ones, but I haven't had a single 'fully submersible' heater that stays perfectly dry inside, even with careful consideration to 'acclimatise' it before turning it on etc.

I believe the condensation is more to do with the initial assembly of the unit and the temperature difference between the air inside the heater and the water outside.

If the seal of the heater was leaking and letting water in, wouldn't it eventually collect in the bottom of the heater? Why just condense?

I've got $12 cheapies in the bottom of sumps fully submerged with no condensation in them (I know because I pulled them out & checked them before turning them on a month ago after having them unplugged for 6 months)

I'm almost certian the newer one I got from AOA (in the white/purple box, not the older yellow box) had "Fully submersible" in the instruction sheet.

the only heaters I've had fail (without me causing it) were dearer ones too...

sometimes you get what you pay for alright, sometimes it's just a name.

my 2c

Hey Guys,

i didn't know this will spark so many responses!

I am 100% certain that my Jagers are the recent EHEIM ones. They have EHEIM written next to the Jager name. I opened up some new ones that were still in the box and they too have gathered some condensation in the on-off indicator. However, despite the condensation all the heaters are fully operational.

I am only worried that like what Nigel said, the moisture might cause the thermostat to malfunction since i have noticed during summer that the heaters go on even when the temperature is 28!!!!

Anyway, i will continue using mine unless i have clear evidence that they are not working properly. The one with the most condensation is being used to warm up my water change water just in case.

Dave

I believe the condensation is more to do with the initial assembly of the unit and the temperature difference between the air inside the heater and the water outside.

This too is an issue. Water inside wether caused from leaking or poor quality control during manufacture is an issue. They should be put together in a humidity controlled room to avoid condensation issues.

Can't think of the brand I'm using now (got a purple control knob on top). It's only a cheapie and all purchased have worked well. I've used the Sera brand of heater also in the past, which I won't purchase again as they have problems with the thermostat.

If there is water inside them when you take them out of the box zipit.gif

I am not an electrician, nor into electronics, so any experts are free to disagree with me. What I know is water and electricity don't mix, and there is NO excuse for any sign of water to appear inside a heater that is made to be submersed in water.

MoliroMan – don’t be surprised. There has been many comments over the years about this topic, particularly in reference to Jagger heaters.

Craig

Archived