festae - Male or female?

Hey guys,

Last week i got this festae, and at first thought it was definately a female. The only reason im questioning it, is that someone saw it and said it looked like a male because of the blue spangling on its body. I was under the impression that some females can get the spangling, but males never get the black or blue on the dorsal.

Anyone know if this is correct or not? I`ll attach some pics and hopefully i1ll get some opinions on the sex:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

What do you guys think?

Sorry about the crappy photo's, but she's still a bit shy so i have to take what i can get huh.gif

I'm definitely no expert on festae (wish I had to room to become one, there's a nice 6" girl at my LFS) but with the base colour going tan & the blue flecks I'd wager boy

I just picked up a new male this morning from neptune aquarium at blacktown and she went more red within minutes of seeing him.. Here's a pic of the two of them :)

user posted image

Its the bigger 2 in the middle.. Male and female? huh.gif

I just picked up a new male this morning from neptune aquarium at blacktown and she went more red within minutes of seeing him.. Here's a pic of the two of them smile.gif

user posted image

Its the bigger 2 in the middle..  Male and female? huh.gif

I would agree with your original prognisis that it's a female. I have heard that the female of some population of Festae do have some blue spangling on the body, but that the males never have the Blue/Black Dorsal and pelvic fins.

Also, She/he/it turned "More Orange" when you introduced the new male. I understand that the primary colour of the males are Bronze, Green or Gold, but they do get red on the fins. It is rare for a male to go bright orange in the body.

Came home from work and got a few new happy snaps of them. I`m leaning more towards it being a female after seeing the colours come out tonight.

This is them flirting around a bit:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I had to adjust the contrast in photoshop, but at least you get to see the colour of he/her with the bars switched on bigsmile.gif was trying hard to get good pics, but every time i had the camera pointed in the right direction, they would stop, so i had to take waht i could get.

Now all i have to do is get the male to stop chasing his reflection on the back glass, he's been doing it all night and wont give her any attention. Any suggestions on how to stop him from doing this?

its a female.heres a pic of my female(its your ones sister.all the ones at that size in sydney at the moment are from the same spawn.)nice male by the way they make a nice pair.good luck with them.

user posted image

Archived