Cycling my tank

Bruce

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You either haven't cleaned your substrate properly or there is something leaching the colour into the water. To eliminate the culprit start by pulling your rocks out and put some activated carbon into your sump to absorb the colour.

If it goes away it's probably leaching from one of your rocks.

EDIT: it doesn't look like this anymore?

user posted image

No not cloudy, ok so I'll pull the rocks out for a day or two and see what happens, I'll chuck in some carbon aswell. I never actually cleaned the sand when I put it in but then I got the weirs installed and it sat outside in boxes and got some rain. Could this of done it?

Bruce

The rocks are just easier to remove than the sand... The sand is just as likely (possibly more than likely) to have caused the off colouration if you didn't clean it before putting it in. There's a lesson learned for you...

Put some activated carbon in and see how it goes over the next couple of days, it's only cheap so won't break the back if it doesn't solve the problem.

Ok, I just found out I already put the bag of carbon in there. I think it may of been only partially submerged before but now it's where there is most water flow. If this doesn't work what can I do?

Bruce

purigen - Seachem's super absorbant

only thing is it'll muff up your cycle by absorbing ammonia so wait until you tank is cycled.

in short - ignore the unsightly colour for now. If it's the rocks/substrate leaching it'll probably settle down after a few water changes

with a fishless cycle? when there's no ammonia readable for 3 consecutive days

JMO of course

JMO?

Edit: New water test results are in;

pH:8.0

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrite: 2.0ppm

Nitrate:5.0ppm

I am still adding Prime daily to control ammonia etc.

Bruce

Bruce - if you don't have fish in there there's no point adding prime. Are you still adding plenty of food daily? if so you're 1/2 way there already!

Jon - even with it locked by the prime, the bacteria will still "eat" it AFAIK

Alright, no more Prime. I haven't added any more food as that fish is still in there and it stinks laugh.gif Will this do it? How long do you think until it'll be tang safe?

Bruce

I believe this to be the case too, but it makes it difficult to track the cycle progress if he can't detect it (I think that the prime locks it such that it cannot be detected... dntknw.gif )

Ah cool, I won't dose with Prime tomorrow and I'll see what happens. Can I get a ballpark figure of the time left for the cycle to finish?

Bruce

Ok, I'll just leave the fish in there and keep regularly checking the water. Should I continue to add seachem?

I just wanna thank everyone who's been helping especially Ash and spedwards. I'd also like to give a massive thanks to my water test kit, I couldn't of done it without you laugh.gif

Bruce

You need something to feed the process and keep it going, the fish will work but as you have found will get a little on the nose. Just keep at it, without the Prime you should see and increase the ammonia levels, keep going until this reaches zero, the nitrites should then follow suit.

What Seachem product are you talking about continuing to add?

The smell isn't a worry, I just stupidly took it out of the water and smelled it, DOH!

It is seachem lake tang buffer.

Bruce

I believe this to be the case too, but it makes it difficult to track the cycle progress if he can't detect it (I think that the prime locks it such that it cannot be detected... dntknw.gif )

nope, the kits can't tell ammonia from ammonium

The smell isn't a worry, I just stupidly took it out of the water and smelled it, DOH!

It is seachem lake tang buffer.

Bruce

You'll stop adding that stuff once you get the water perameters you're after - which means checking hardness & pH.

If you treated the whole tank with a full dose initially, you don't need to add any till your waterchanges.

bear in mind when you get your fish that if they are in neutral water with like 50ppm hardness & your tang tank as pH9 & 350ppm, you'll need to acclimatise them

I am getting all my fish off people from this forum so I will speak to them all beforehand and see what there water parameters are like. Should I add more fish? It's just a bite size piece at the moment.

Bruce

Until it's gone it'll be still breaking down & producing ammonia - probably sit back & wait for a day or 2

Acclimatization.

1) when you get your fish, put them in a bucket next to the tank in their bag water.

2) run a siphon from the tank with an airline with a tap

3) once it's siphoning ok turn the tap almost off so it just drips into the bucket.

4) once the water gets near the top of the bucket (assuming it wasn't very full to start with) then you should be right to introduce the fish to the tank

Archived