Festae's Preparing to spawn?

Hey all,

I`m just wondering what type of behaviour do festaes usually display when they are preparing to spawn. Ive noticed in the last day or so that the 2 largest ones (which i thought were both the same sex) have been hanging out together exclusively. When they arent together and then swim near each other, they sort of flare their gills (not properly though - they just sort of poke the underside of their gills out a bit, to show the red colouration) at each other, and then swim together after that. There has been the occasional spawn dancing, but not that much. They are probably at about the 4-5" range at the moment, maybe bigger.

The reason i thought they were both the same sex is because i cant really tell the colouration of their dorsal's. Ive looked at so many pictures on the net, but cant find many pictures of female or male juvi's. At times thay both look female, and at others they both look male. Although the bigger of the two does look more like a male more often.

What are your opinions on their behaviour?

Don't female festae have a black splotch on the front of the dorsal or is that N. salvini?

hi

salvini's definately have the black splotch, and my female festaes also do. ( but not always an indication. The female festae should have alot of color (yellow,red and black)in her if she is about to spawn. Also, check the vertical bars on the head. If they reach up into a "y" good chance she is female)

cheers

Jaymes

Yea both the salvini's and the festae's have the black splotch on their dorsal. The thing with mine is that sometimes they have it and its black as the ace of spades, sometimes its blue and sometimes you can hardly see it at all.

As far as the colouration goes when spawning, mine arent at the 12-15 cm mark yet, so they havent developed their full colouration yet. The fins, and the underside of their gills are the only place where colour has developed well so far. On their bodys there is a redish sheen at times but not that much. The bigger one has blue pearl sheen on its face and is starting to look blueish and golden all over (slowly happening).

As far as the 'Y' goes though, as far as i know its, its one of the ways that you can tell the true red terrors apart from the false RT's. All of mine have the Y when they show their bars, and they all have the small black blotch on the top half of their body just before the tail starts.. not sure what that part is called (peduncle i think)

The reason i asked about the spawning, is because of the spawn dancing they were doing, but maybe their just flirting to show each other that they would be a good mate, and theyre actually just paring up or something like that smile.gif

the false festae (cichlasoma uropthalmus) have the spot just in front of the tail level with the centre of the tail fin, the real rt have the same spot but its above the centre line of the tail.

festae you sound like you have a male and if the other one ever shows the front third of the dorsal as black then its a female ,one things for sure if their serious about breeding theyll both show adult colouration ,but be prepaired for lots of false starts

Just took a few pictures of the possible pair, what do you guys think on the sexes? (sorry about the crappy photo's)

Male (the biggest one in the middle)

user posted image

Female

user posted image

Pair

user posted image

Group shot with another possible female

user posted image

Apart from the sexes, do you guys think they look like nice festaes as far as shape and proportion are concerned?

Hi Festae

I would say that you have a nice pair growing up thumb.gif - in the 2nd last photo, you can disistinguish the female with the steeper inclined head.

They certainly look like the real festaes too and seem to be very well fed. yes.gif

But they are a long way off breeding size yet. shock.gif

You will certainly know when they are ready because the female will turn a stunning red / yellow colour and the barring will turn very deep black.

These are a magnificent species and in breeding dress they are unequalled for colouration. wub.gif

Good luck with them mate - keep us informed on their progress.

Archived