Help...

Bruce

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesnt make sence bruce. With no pump running the water in the tank should be at the bottom of the horizontal intakes. Your sump should be about 3/4 full. Is that the way yo have it set-up

When the pump is switched on what happens to the water in the sump? and what happens to the water in the tank?

The slits on the intake pipes are facing down. I turn on the pump and the water from sump start coming in. I wait till most of the intake pipes are covered and then take off the pipe, end cap and t-joint and dip them all under water to remove air and then attach them to the stand pipe again. I do this to both sides but after a couple of minutes the sump fills too full and then the air tubes up the top start sucking air in and suction stops so I turn the pump off. I think the problem could be that stand pipes are acting like siphons?

Bruce

Yep sounds like they are, but not sure how.

Fill your tank up so the water starts to run back down to the sump (with the pump off).

Then fill your sump to the desired level (of course this needs to fully submerge your pump).

What happens if you just turn the pump on and do nothing else?

Either way, if you set it up right to begin with you should never have more water falling into the sump than you expect.

Unless these standpipes are not secure or have holes down near the base you should never have more water falling to the sump than was already above the level of the standpipes.

Standpipes act like a weir. They determine the water level in your tank.

Do the stand pipes have a cap on the top? If so then drill a small hole in the cap.

Nice work Josh! thumbup.gif

The caps allow passage of air which avoids the syphon situation.

Drill a small hole first, then make it a bit bigger until you get the result you want.

Of course it will work perfectly with no cap at all but a bigger hole at the top there will make more noise.

It's a 6x2x2.5

Thanks, I think these holes may of solved all our problems. I take it the holes need to be outside the water?

Bruce

Yep on the top of the end caps.

The tops of the caps are out of the water aren't they? (i hope)

Ok, we tried it all last night and we figured out that the filter system DOES NOT WORK. The pipes are too small and the falling is too weak for the filter and the siphon is too strong, me and my dad played around with holes and stuff and it will be virtually impossible to even them out. I think the easist and best option at the moment is to install an overflow box to provide an overflow. The sump has two imputs so I thought the best way to do it would be two seperate small ones on the back or one long one. What other options do I have?

Bruce

G'day Bruce.

I am just playing catch up with this topic. So stop me if I am missing the problem.

You have a big strong pump that is pumping lots of water up into your tank

As previously suggested. Put in a bypass line. So that not so much water gets pushed up into the tank. With the bypass line the excess water is simply fed back into the sump. Thus no need to get a smaller pump and no need for an overflow box. Do you follow what I am talking about, when I say a bypass line?

Syphon effect

This is resolved by adding to the amount of air holes that stop the water from syphoning. PS if the hole gets too big, push in an airvalve and silicone into position.

Some sumps are simply not large enough to work properly. You may not have a large enough space to cope with you tank and the uneven intake pipes?

Ps you can always put an elbow onto the intake of the pump so that you can keep the water at a lower level in the sump.

When you system is operational have a look here to reduce noise on your return pipes

Hope this helps

Matthew

Is anyone in the area able to look at the setup in person for Bruce & diagnose it correctly cause most of what he's said doesn't make sense.

No offence meant Bruce.

I will say it again Bruce the pumps to big it does not matter what you do it will never work.

I had a look at your drawing and all there is are two pipes as inlets and I will bet there 25mm. I still say the best option is to get a smaller pump say 4000lt an hour it will never work with an 8000lt an hour pump.

The other option is to wiers in where the pipes are if possible then you will be able to run the pump you have.

but he was complaining about the filter being overfilled, not the filter being emptied & the pump running dry.

That's what makes no sense!

I'm with Ash, wouldn't a big pump mean the sump is running dry rather than being too full?

The only thing which fill his sump really is gravity. If it's filling too slow he needs bigger pipes and if it's filling too fast he has a syphon of some sort happening.

Do we know what size tank this is yet? I'm sure there are lots of tanks out there with that size pump running quite successfully.

I think the tank is a 6x2x2 or a bit bigger. Lets see if we can get him to post some photos that would be good to see how it really is set up intsead of a drawing.

tank size

It's a 6x2x2.5

I'd run a 6000lph pump on that if I had one, an 8000lph isn't much of a stretch so long as the drains to the sump are up to it of course.

Maybe that's the problem, they aren't & whoever designed it or Bruce set it up as a siphon to compensate - which of course can never equalise!

I thought 2 x 25mm stand pipes could handle 8000lph - I thought they did 4000lph each & with head height on the pump she'd be only putting out about 7000lph anyway?

Archived