Canister filter plumbing behind "latex" background

spedwards

Jamie, I'll be hitting up a landscape place in the next week or so trying to find something to match. I'm thinking of getting two piles in there, one left side and one centre-right. I'll see how this goes and make changes later if required.

Dave, Thanks for the kind words. Tim_in_NYC's Ilangi tank journal on Cichlid-Forum had inspired me to share, so it's likely I will continue with some form of journal posting with the lead up to the fish arriving.

It's surprising how simple this actually turned out to be (though I think I might have been over complicating it), both the install and the posting. It only take a few minutes to take the pics and give them a little write up, and to honest I kind of enjoy doing it wink2.gif

Cheers

Jon

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

have you wet the stuck in rocks & background to see if they still match underwater? sometimes dry colours can be decieving.

I totally agree with Dave, excellent thread!

have you wet the stuck in rocks & background to see if they still match underwater?  sometimes dry colours can be decieving.

Now you mention that! LOL.gif

I hadn't even thought about that, but they are in place now so I can't do much about it - oh well.

I heard back from the aquarium today, the cabinet (and hood) is being made again and will be here in a few weeks! angry.gif

I'd be looking elsewhere for the cabinet & telling them to shove it

The thought had crossed my mind but I've already tried that once. I looked around and couldn't find anything else that was what I was after in the cabinet and ended up placing a very similar order at a different aquarium.

It was the LFS jerking me around on the first occasion though, this time it's the manufacturer so I can't blame or really take it out on the store. When I talk to them about it I prepare myself to fire up but can never do it as I know that there's nothing more they can do themselves. The bad part for the LFS (and me) is that I'll be going over the next one with a fine toothed comb and if anything's not right it will be sent back again.

I think the most frustrating thing about this situation is having the tank and all associated equipment ready to go but nothing to put the damn thing on!

May your tanks always be full of water and fish! Unlike mine... cryblow.gif

Guest parallel

Jon,

What sandstone are you looking for or are you? This is what I got from a landscape place in Kellyville.

user posted image

They also have plenty of Australian natural rock ( can't remember what is the exact name)

Those sandstone in the picture I'd pay $10 for around 20Kg+. They are all off cut, but heaps to choice from.

Cheers

Parallel

That's the sort of stuff that I'm after, though a little more brown / red to match the background. I like the look of the "domino effect" you have going on.

How big are the fish to get an idea of the size of the pieces?

Which landscape supply place did you pick that up from, the one just down from Kellyville Pets?

Guest parallel

This is the place:

Kellyville Landscape suppliers

Lot 25, Windsor rd

Kellyville, NSW 2155

Ph 9629 4167

They have various sizes but I can't remember what other colour have they got.

You really have to go and have a look. Was planning on getting some more rocks for the new tank cool.gif but I got some from another member here and they are redish colour too very nice big rocks....LOL

I hope this help.

Cheers

Parallel

Wow what a thread you have done a great job there Jon.

Please keep us up to date on it yes.gif

That tank at Auburn Aquarium is great but $2500 for a background from europe is a lot of cash good to see good ones like yours are being made here in OZ.Are you going to paint the sides black behind the backgound the same as Auburn ?

This thread has come at a good time I am just about to build a tank with a background I am getting custom made by Universal Rocks too they still have not come back to me with the price yet.Its for one that goes around the sump over flow and I will have the return come in behind the background and out some vents I will add in it.

Rat

Thanks Bill, it's good to know that I'm helping people out with this one. I was feeling a little lost until I got started, looking back now it's a much simpler exercise than I had originally thought it would be - you should have no troubles fitting it yes.gif

The Auburn one I was referring to was a 5x2x2 that appeared to be waiting for pickup, sitting in the front of the store.

Which display tank has this mega background installed, off the top of my head I can only think of the rainbow tank on the Parramatta Rd side having a fancy background. I must admit i normally only pay attention to the fish in the tanks though wink2.gif

I've got some black contact that I'm planning to use on the sides to hide the silicone work. That work is on the cards for tomorrow or later in the week if time gets the better of me, I'll be sure to give some update pics when that's all completed.

This is what I meant by painting it. I think its at the bottom of the link last step.

Yes, this is what I'll be doing with the black contact. I chose the contact over painting as it works out a little cheaper (I think) and there is also a lot less mess.

The other benefit is that if I decide that black isn't the right colour for the job any longer, if that's ever likely to happen dntknw.gif , I can just pull it back off and replace it with what ever colour suits.

I got a few ideas on how I should be doing the install from this and the other Back To Nature install guide, http://www.backtonature.se/english/montera_woodrock.html, though obviously it's a little different with the Universal Rocks backgrounds. I'm not too sure about removing the centre brace when doing the install though, unless it's really necessary...

I have to agree with all- great post and keep it going right through to fish being installed in the final product. I have been thinking of getting one of these backgrounds but hadn't thought about the installation at all??

I really love Parrallels' setup very basic but very attractive and effedtive. I'm getting a lot of good ideas from this post clap.gif

Cheers Couchy thumbup.gif

I quite like the background at this size (4x2) but at the original size I had (4x1.5) it was very flat and very plain, IMHO.

Installing is really easy, if I can get it in then I reckon anyone could handle it!

LOL.gif

First I have seen this post, sorry I could have added some info, but too late for it now.

Don’t be satisfied with the scratch you have in your front viewing panel. With all the work you did, it is very easy to do. I was very paranoid about doing it when I did my tank, coupled with years of experience meant that I didn’t do what you did. I was very very careful though, particularly when putting the background in place and gluing it in (I used lumps of lead and bags of gravel as weights, not to mention lengths of wood to wedge between background and front of tank (corners). I had the front inside glass taped up with plastic.

With your scratch, I’d be very surprised that you can get it out, and if I was in your position, I would cut the front panel off, take it to a glass place and say you want another of that size please, and glue it back in yourself.

I didn’t have any plumbing out the back, but in the bottom of my tank. What I did was rest the tank on to lengths of timber covered in polystyrene, which supported the tank, and meant the plumbing didn’t come into contact with the ground even when I was working on the tank in an upright position.

In regards to putting rocks in that match in with your background. There are two thinks you need to take into account here, one is the colour as you are aware, but more relevant than this is the texture. If you stick with sandstone, you will have no issues as the Universal rock backgrounds are made to resemble sandstone (as you'll know). The colour believe it or not is not such an issue, wet or dry, if it doesn’t match as once they are in the tank for a few weeks/months, you probably won’t be seeing the natural colour of the rocks anyway as they will have algae growths and so on them. I just went out into the backyard with a hammer and chisel, and used that rock. With Tropheus too you may have stronger lighting on it to encourage more algae growth, so the rocks colour will be of even less importance. Still try to colour match as you can, but don’t get bush rock with lichen growing on it (this will match well, but is not the right approach). Just look for a dark honey coloured raw stone, and you’ll be right once algae start to grow on it. Use another stone to take off any sharper edges of newly broken stone.

I filled the back of my backgrounds with filter wool. Some of the return water is directed into here (so it wouldn’t go off), not much as I wanted really strong water movement in the tank itself (tank is turned over 11 times per hour 6’ by 2’ by 2’6”). For the water that goes behind the backgrounds, it is filtered four times before it enters here (and through my denitrate filter), so should stay pretty clean (?). I wanted to have some circulation behind here, but also wanted to make use of the space, and filling the area with a media that can provide a surface area for bacteria I have a very large biological zone.

Craig

Thanks for the comments Craig, the benefit of experience and little less haste plus some forward thinking would have gone a long way this this tank so far.

As for the scratch, I'm not too keen on pulling the tank apart myself (particularly after seeing the disaster post by Mr6ft tonight) though it is a good suggestion. As part of the final clean I will fill the tank up to scratch level and assess the situation. If it comes up looking ordinary I might contact the tank manufacturer and see what they could be able to do.

I had some time to put the black contact on to cover the side silicone work tonight, see pics below.

Now you see it...

user posted image

Now you dont...

user posted image

I received by addition cannister filter today from AoA, got a UV sterilser last week and it's all just sitting... waiting...

I hope this new cabinet is up to scratch!

Hey Parrallel, your last rock standing up troubles me. What would happen if it fell and squashed a fish or two or worse still hit the glass.

Is it secure somehow?

Love this thread!!

It is not a hard job to replace a front panel of glass. Tank makers aren’t rocket scientists, and with the experience you’ve had with your tank so far you have proved yourself capable (though clumsy wink2.gif ), so an extra step of replacing your front panel is not a great one.

If you don’t want to do it your self, and I can well understand your concern, organise it with your tank maker, after all you are waiting for the stand anyway, so time is not a pressing point here. Perhaps you could remove the front panel, and ask the tank maker to replace it, that way you will be doing most of the labour.

I covered in my sides of the tank where you could look behind the background with black paint. The same paint that I painted the bottom (outside) of the tank. I like the look of the contact you used, and if I decide to do my sides again, I may try your way with the contact. I would suggest you paint the bottom of the tank as well. I used a black substrate in my tank, and cichlids being cichlids, they dig to the bottom to the glass. With the outside bottom being panted black, I don’t get big white holes at the bottom of their excavation from the white polystyrene.

Craig

I'm not so much concerned about the task of removing the replacing the front panel, between household renovations and various aquatic projects I've learnt to wield a caulking gun OK. My concern comes from assuming that my handwork will hold up to the weight of 340 odd litres of water whose mail goal is life is to try and pull the tank apart.

The manufacturer doesn't deal direct with the public generally, so I'm not sure how I'll go with them. I'll use them as the first contact, but if things don't work out I'll contact one of the forum sponsors as I'm sure they'll be able to help me.

The black contact was only a couple of dollars for the roll which gave me tonnes more than I needed, the best part is that you can always remove it. Paint is just too permanent, but so is siliconing a background to the tank i guess. dntknw.gif

At this stage I'm planning on using crushed marble for the substrate with egg crate combined with your silicone snake idea (remember that I'm a little clumsy...) along the bottom, so having the polystyrene showing should shouldn't be of too much concern.

Cheers

Jon

I tried Parramatta Aquariums and Craig said it was reccommended that it not be done. I'm willing to accept his advice as an experienced tank maker, it's not worth the effort and subsequent risk and I will just let it be.

I'm just lucky it's not smack in the middle of the tank I guess. I'll still give the polishing a go to see if I can't at least make it a little less obvious

A note to all, be very careful when installing these things! Do as I did (eventually) with the towel or take Craig's method and tape some plastic on the display surfaces...

Archived