Epson salt for worms

youngy_11

hi,

I noticed yesterday that my texas has white "poo"s and i think it may have worms.

One of the guys at the LFS said to use Empon salts as a lacsative to clean out there stomachs.

I brought some last night but i don't know how much to put in and what other procedures like water changes are required?

Anyone that has used this method before could you fill me in on what the best thing to do?

thanks ryan

um, epsom salts can be used at a buffer to raise GH & are one of the normal ingredients in DIY Rift lake buffer - I've never heard of it being used for worms - though maybe the quick hardness shift upsets them?

Magnesium Sulphate (Epsoms salt) is an effective laxative in humans, if you eat it cool.gif

Not sure how you would get the fish to eat it no.gif

In any event, giving your fish diarrhoea will not fix worms, only constipation confused.gif

So if your fish really do have worms, then I suggest you use levamisole

Cheers

Brett

I've read that about epsom salts being good for treating worms. I've tried it in the past when I had discus - to varying levels of success. The theory is that it'll clean out the fish and they just pass everything out, including the worms. However you have to be careful with the dosage as it can result in the fish becoming dehydrated - a bit like us drinking salt water, I guess, as well as the water hardness issues mentioned above.

It's been ages since I used this kind of treatment so can't remember the dosage recommended. I'd suggest doing a fair bit of research on the web before you proceed.

Otherwise stick to the recommendations of the forum posts by people who've had success with the treatments they use. Is there anything about treating worms in any of the FAQ sections?

p.

Archived