My First Planted Tank

parrdog

Jamie, your tank looks fantastic. I think people often overlook milfoil because it's considered a weed, but when grown properly, it can be really stunning. Well done thumb.gif

Beautiful looking tank mate smile.gif Everyone seems to have covered the advice nicely, the only thing I have to add would be perhaps introducing something red to the background of your tank. Pogo can look stunning provided it is looked after and given plenty of light etc. Just a suggestion, all in all it's a very very nice looking tank mate. Fantastic effort for your first time.

Rotala wallichii or Ludwigia inclinata would be a much better option than 'Pogo' to go with your Myriophyllum aquaticum (Milfoil).

If you were thinking of adding C02 then 'pogo' (Pogostemon stellata) would definately be a good option, but it needs the extra bang for your buck (lighting, C02, micro-nutrients) to succeed.

In regards to your previous algae issue, Seachem's Flourish Excel works wonders in this regard, just a light dosage here and there.

Stupid me, I didn't realise I have Pogostemon blink.gif . It's going well at the moment, the new shoots are very green in colour as opposed to pink.

The brown algae prob is only occuring on the fine leaves of the Milfoil. The other plants are nice and bright. I guess the little algae eaters can't really access the algae on the Milfoil.

Any suggestions or should I just ride it out?

Thanks,

Jamie.

Stupid me, I didn't realise I have Pogostemon  blink.gif . It's going well at the moment, the new shoots are very green in colour as opposed to pink.

The brown algae prob is only occuring on the fine leaves of the Milfoil. The other plants are nice and bright. I guess the little algae eaters can't really access the algae on the Milfoil.

Any suggestions or should I just ride it out?

Thanks,

Jamie.

I would just ride it out, as you best put it. It will go away within a few weeks normally. But you could always buy a few freshwater shrimp for the tank. They would probably clean it up and help with any other algae problems.

Cheers

Rob

You could always check your phosphates and make sure that an unusually high level hasn't built up for some reason. Most planted tanks go through a bit of a brown algae period so I wouldn't be stressing about it. The only problem is that plants with fine leaves may have their photosynthesis inhibited by algae growth over their foliage.

Archived