Tank Deco

I think if you go to any of the fresh water streams and creeks (which i think they all are) in the royal national park, you should be able to get some good clean wood. Just soak it in some salty hot water then soak it in normal water for a while that should be fine.

Your not really allowed to take anything out of the National Park. It may not appeal to you but you have to stand back and take in the beautiful area of land.

If it were allowed, imagine what would be left?

Buy the stuff, or like it was mentioned, ask a farmer for it if there is any on their property.

I usually find mine, already soaked because of the Damn I go to every year with friends. Each year the water level gets lower and lower (one day there won't be a Damn to water ski and boat around in). But everytime we walk around the place, I find nice wood to go in the aquarium.

Its free, not in a national park, and no one ever knew it was there in the first place....it is not a home to something unless that something happen to be moss, fungus or something.

Steve

Steve, that sounds pretty hypocrytical lol laugh.gif First you say dont take it from a national park and then your taking from a lake, unless of course you or your friends own the park and let you. laugh.giflaugh.gif

Id buy it from a LFS just to be safe personally but you are right. They are very very expensive from LFS!

The lake in on in a National Park. Its just a lake (an artificial one created by man, to control the Damn levels).

The way I see it, it was once (recently) at the bottom of the lake, and since the water level had gone down. I pulled it out of the mud.

Even if it was in a National Park, I would have asked for permission to take it because it is a truely beautiful peice of wood. I could post the pic but I am not too sure how to.

Steve

Its free, not in a national park, and no one ever knew it was there in the first place....its not a home to something unless that something happened to be moss, fungus or something

Steve, when that wood is submerged it is a habitat site for freshwater arthropods or small fish. When exposed at low water, it still provides shelter for terrestrial arthropods, or frogs or amphibians. At the very least, in your own words, it is a substrate for simple plants (which incidentally are still part of the ecosystem).

Go ask a farmer, it's cheap, safe and not hurting an ecosystem.

merjo smile.gif

Very true Edward, but more often than not, it is sold off for firewood or burnt off in the paddock. Either way, the natural bush land should be left alone.

Another point to take into consideration is that it is illegal to take wood from parks and reserves and it comes with a hefty fine. Your choice.

merjo

Hi Edward,

IME I have found that the sun bleached wood can have just as much tanin. Unfortunately you don't know how much till you put it in the tank. The quantity of tanin, or duration of leaching depends on type, size, collection area, age and other factors I should imagine. Even wood which has bee bleached professionally and looks light in colour has also leached tanin once it was submerged.

I have some really nice pieces which have bee soaking in my pond for three years and still release colour.

merjo

The bottom line is people:

You can take the wood from where ever you want but some places you may be trespassing or violating other laws. You can make your own decision where you want to get the wood from and we can't stop you. But i like to be on the safe side.

Good Luck

wazza

The way I see it, the peice of wood I got, has made a home for atleast four of my fish. So I have mearly transfered ownership of the piece of wood.

And I am sure, whatever living thing was in their then, was definetly not there when I pulled it out of the mud.

Besides, a piece of wood like this would cost over $100 in the shops. It almost looks artificial the way nature has created such a fine piece of work.

Steve

P.S I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how to.

Easy answer to this question...

Only take wood or for that matter anything of the like from Private land...

The taking of wood, or anything else from a National Park is wrong and ILLEGAL

Hevent you heard the saying,

Leave only tracks, but take away the memories...

geesh... some people have no concept of what a protected wilderness area is all about...

hi guys

be absolutley carefull of where you collect wood from. apart from picking up the wrong type of wood and causing a disaster in your tank, you can be fined quite heavily for unlawfully removing anything {wood or rocks}from national parks. also in a lot of country council areas even colecting firewood is baned under BY LAWS and fines are aplicable,--- be warned.

regardes colfish

Archived