Where to buy Shovelnose Catfish (Sorubim Lima) ?

Arrafanatic

Gadday Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere that sells Shovelnose catfish (Sorubim Lima) and at how much. I realise that they are a hard to get species and as a result, they will be expensive.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Arrafanatic

Very rare here. In 10yrs of Catfish/rare/tankbuster/South American (my main interests, which just happen to fit the categorys this fish is in biggrin.gif) interest, I can count the specimens I have seen on one hand. If you find any expect to pay $600+...But then again, IF you find any they may not be for sale sad.gif

-Shaun

I agree with Shaun. I have done heaps of research on them and only ever seen 1. And it wasn't for sale unfortunately. Not that i have the tank space to keep one. You never know, one may just pop up somewhere.

Good Luck.

wazza

Barca888,

I like these fish for many reasons.. but the main one being i am just a sucker for large interesting fish. There is nothing special about them, it is just a matter of personal taste and opinion, and mine happens to be in large, rare and interesting fish..

That's pretty much it mate lol

Thanks

Arrafanatic

Hey Alex,

I am with Akroyd,

are you talking about Sorubim Lima (shovelnose catfish) or some other larger Sth American catfish? becuase i have read in numerous articles that the most common size for Lima's is around 18 inches, and 24 inches being the absolute max size.

Just a thought

Thanks

Arrafanatic

The one at Aquotix is a TSN not a Lima, that is why i used mine as a comparison, woever said earlier in this thread that Aquotix's Shovelnose was a Lima was wrong.

Pseudoplatystoma trigrinum

• 9 months later...

Ok, let us be more specific here..... we are talking about Lima shovelnose. NOT the tiger shovelnose.

I believe Slippery Little Suckers have some juveniles and I wouldn't be surprised if Wetpetz in QLD have some as well. zipit.gif

HI,

I heard on the grapevine that SLS may have had some but when I called late last week I was told by the helpful lady that they did not know of any or of where there could be some.

I have been chasing 1,2 or 3 for ages

If anyone see's any let me know thumb.gif

cheers kel

If you call any aquarium and ask if they sell fish that are not meant to be in this country, you will find that all of them will tell you that they do not know what on earth you are talking about and tell you that they do not have any. What you might want to do is to go down there and have alook around yourself and physically see if they have any fish that might intrest you for sale. Good luck in your search

Archived