what size tank for shellies

well i have a standard 2ft tank with 1M and 4F adult multies in there and probs a million fry. well not that many, but u get the point.

they seem to be fine. no fights...but i guess if you put another male in, then there will be some arguments.

yeh the fry wont get eaten. just provide alot of shells for them to hide in , and for the bigger ones to take residence.

small shells are the best to use. some ppl have used lots of rocks, but i have no success with them.

go to your LFS, and ask them whether you can have the dead mystery/apple snail shells. usually they will give them to you for free.

Do your own research on the net first man. There's a world of information there. Google is your friend.

AFTER you've researched, and you still have a question, then ask. bigsmile.gif

EDIT: mine breed once every few weeks having about 10-13 fry each time.

Times that by 4 females, thats quite a lot of fry! bigsmile.gif

Google is your friend.

Aint that the truth

30in should be fine. My experiences with multis can be summarised in the following way:

Tank+water+shells+Multis=babies (lotsa)

What do more do you need to know. tongue.gif

Just dive in, they are as tough as old boots.

-worm-

Well mine live in a 14inch cube and have been breeding well with no serious agression probs. I would suggest that once the top male starts singling out the excess and smaller males to sell them to your lfs, if you go for the 3 foot you could keep hundreds as said use lots of shells and rocks for them to hide in.

I would also sugest sand as a substrate for these guys cause they just love to dig!!!!!!!

Ant I would have a lot more then ten adults in my two foot tank and probablyhave 40-50 fish all up and have no aggression problems. I have a heap of extra fish that have no shells and they are just hanging around.

Josh

I have 2m, 6f muties and 30+ fry 3mm-2cm in a 2x15x15 no dramas at all , maybe 40 shells all over the bottom, small pebbles~1cm aswell all shells are covered in funky algae.

pair of L. brevis, ion a 15inchx8x8 tank all good one big shell for them and a bout 10 really small ones for any fry at the other end...

pair of blue occies, in a similar tank to the brevis, tried them in a 4, 3 , 2 footer he chases her abouts just as much as the small tank, so... but full of shells, very little sand as he has a tendancy to burry her and the fry! he is a prick!

pair of L. caudopuctatus, ( probably my favorite looking) are in a 4 footer with a dozen P.nigrippinis, and 6 L.attenuatus, all is well, they could easily live in a 2 footer or maybe smaller , they are a really nice pair and get along famously..these guys lay eggs under the rocks....

Hope that helps some.

Archived