Help

agro77

1. Description of the symptoms, obvious signs of disease and behaviour of your fish. (wounds, nodules, erratic movement/breathing, feeding pattern etc.)

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

2. List the fish that are exhibiting the above symptoms/behaviour: genus and species name. (some diseases and health concerns are more prevalent in certain types of fish)

Just the sharks, oscars silver dollars and Plecos are all showing no signs of the disease

3. When and how did the symptons/behaviour start? (when and how did you first notice the problem)

Sunday night they started getting dusty

4. How old are the affected/sick fish? (age can also be a determining factor)

3 years old

5. Have any new fish been added to the tank? (if "yes", when were they added, how many, from where did they originate and what type of fish were they?)

Not for at least 2 years

6. Has anything 'special' happened recently? (eg. water change, power failure, change of water conditioners/addition of chemicals, new plants/decor/substrate, treatment for other diseases, been away for a few days, house painted/fumagated, new pets, grand children banging on the glass etc.)

Nope

7. What are the water parameters? (where relevant)

- pH =6.9 stable for over 2 years

- kH =

- gH =

- Temp =28

- O2 content =

- CO2 additions =

- NH3 =

- NO2 =

- NO3 =

- Metals (copper, iron, lead) =

8. Describe the aquarium and its contents (age, size, filter size/capacity, rocks/substrate/coral type, fish and plant species still in the tank)

4 x 2 x 2 oscars plecos and silver dollars

9. When was the water last changed and how much was changed? (include description of procedure)

40% weekly, tap water directly into tank. then de-clor....

10. When was the filter last cleaned? (describe procedure followed)

1 sponge is cleaned each alternate water change. the U/G filter is gravel vac every time

11. What brand and type of food has been used over the past month? (include treats/live foods/vegetables)

Cooked Prawns and A flake and pellet (generic brand)

HELP

When you say "dusty" it sounds like velvet. Run that through google and see if the symptoms fit.

Andrea smile.gif

Well I have been doing 50% water changes on the tank now for 4 days stright. adding rock salt at a rate of 1tbs per 10 ltrs changed. I have also raised the temp to 31deg. I added 2 more airstones.

I am going to the Aquarium tonight and Im still unsure which medicine I should Buy? It doesnt sound like velvet? and i cant find a pic on the web at all

Any other advice?

It's a little hard to tell from the pics. but it looks to me like the slime caoting has been compromised. IF it were velvet, raising the temperature would do more harm than good. If you are sure it is not velvet themn ok. I cannot be sure of what it could be, but adding salt would help. As for medications, I'm sorry I can't direct you anywhere.

Andrea smile.gif

I have seen this before on Bala sharks and it is usually from poor water conditions, or excessive metals (copper, cadnium) in the water.

40% water change is too much to maintain stability, and it doesnt hurt to age or treat the water for 24-48hrs prior, using some aditional water ager.

I have seen this before on Bala sharks and it is usually from poor water conditions, or excessive metals (copper, cadnium) in the water.

40% water change is too much to maintain stability, and it doesnt hurt to age or treat the water for 24-48hrs prior, using some aditional water ager.

That explain's it.

I added some Trace mix, I messed up my calculation and put 10x as much as I should have, the mix contains 3% Cu... after the 3 water changes of 40% each the problem appears to have gone. Considering I have a degree in math..... Silly mistake that could have ended my 2 years with out a fish death stretch...

Thanks all for the advice.

Anthony

Archived