Variabilichromis moori, Any info?

Hello,

I have recently acquired some fabulous looking Variabilichromis moori juveniles and prior to my purchase I did some research and found the average keeping/feeding information, but that was about it. I was wondering if anybody else out there keeping these guys could provide me with some more info about pairing them off, breeding, etc. My guys are around the 5-6 cm mark and one question that I have is do the sexes at that size colour up differently (I know adult females are black, adult males charcoal) cause I have some that have gone dark and others that have stayed yellow?

Cheers

Oh yeah! They can really hook into each other when they want too. No nipped fins though just a lot of chasing at times. I've noticed that low light levels seems to really slow them down though and the aggression is cut in half. They leave each other alone altogether when there aren't any rocks (i.e. territories) in the tank.

Personally I think there great fish,

have kept them for ages. I currently have a trio which breed every 2 weeks. And heaps of fry...like im talking like 200 at a time. Good thing about them is they have 2 overies. which means mmore spawn and more fry....

I currently have the trio in a 4x2x2 on there own. I did have them with calvus kendarlli and fronty in a 6 footer. and then i thought they would be fine with sexfas and kendalli. I was so wrong.

Nasty buggers but they have heaps of charater.

Males seem to be smaller, and lighter in colour. while female nice rich dark colour.

Great fish to keep, easy to breed but overal a fish that every one should keep once in there time in the hobby

adam clap.gif

Hi James,

Glad you found it here smile.gif As I was saying the other weekend when you were visiting, my pair have bred a few times in those 18 x20 x 20 cubes. I removed the third girl as I thought she was eating the spawn. However the spaen munching continued. They are all (all 3) now in a 3' and are colouring like there will be some action again shortly. The tank has many rocky crevices and caves as well as a largish shell that they used in the smaller tank. I don't know which sex colours/grows faster, but with 6 to start with you should end up with at least one pair. Just make sure you have somewhere to move the "bashees" to.

Andrea smile.gif

Are these fish available?

Ive never seen them anywhere but once in somebodys display tank.

Do you mind if i ask if anybody knows breeders or where i can get say 4-6 of them.?

Thanks.

Theyre a beautiful looking fish..tongue.gif

Unfortunately I've just got 3 females left.

There was only one male amongst the fry I grew up and he got shagged to death recently.

While he was in there he managed to knock up two of the females but I never saw any of the eggs hatch.

So... if anyone wants an adult female or two you're welcome to them (or has a spare adult male)

They (females) are pretty fish, particularly in low lighting but can also get stroppy. Interestingly they picked on the dither fish more than each other which is unusual in my fishkeepign experience anyway.

I currently have my trio for sale up here in queensland.

have had the same problem with the fry... Cant seem to raise many from a spawn. some times only 10 out of a spawn of 100 - 150.

I do have some pic's but dont know how to upload them...

I could email them to some one if they wanted to put them up.

adam

Archived