substrate colour

hi,

i recently changed from dark to light substrate in a tank and some L. leleupi quickly went from a muddy orange colour to a beautiful clear bright orange. At the same time the calvus in the tank lost their colour and now look rather washed out.

Just wondering if others have had similar experiences.

cheers

Glenn

get a yellow piece of paper & cut out a small square

put it over a white piece of paper, then over a black piece

it's only contrast changing your perspective, unless the fish are stressed by the substrate change of course, in which case they will colour up over time.

Ash is right, the substrate colour and its effect on fish colouring is largely a matter of perspective and how you perceive things. Similarly, you would notice changing the background on your tank can greatly effect the look of your fish (which is one reason why many people choose a black background for example over a bright yellow one).

However, though Ash has hit the nail on the head, I think some substrate colours, tank decoration colours and background colours can have an unwanted impact upon fish in terms of stress. If things are too bright and glary then I would think that it would be a fair to assert that some fish stress may take place. That being said, I think the stress would probably be minimal in the overall scheme of things. Well settled fish should be able to cope with it reasonably well I would think.

hi and thanks for your comments, however i disagree that this is simply a matter of perspective. The fish have definitely changed colour in response to their surroundings.

The rear of the tank is painted black and when viewed against this the leleupi are much brighter and the calvus are much paler.

cheers

Glenn

Glenn,

I tend to agree with you. Though it is also a matter of contrast definitely, I notice the same change in my black calvus. It is also the same when the light is off and then turned on, he seems to change in the space of a minute or so. Contrast plays its part but there is some change from the fish as well.

Fish living over a light substrate will lighten their colour as an attempt at camoflage.

It can be stress related, sure, but what is more stressful than the possibilty of being eaten by something that can now see you quite easily?

Archived