Shells for shellies

Be careful as some sea shells can be too heavy for little multies etc to move around, damaging the fish in the process. I've always sought mystery snail shells (thanks Andreas) for my shellies but I got brave (or desperate) and bought a box of escargo shells from Carlos which also should do the job providing Australia Post doesnt use it for football practice blink.gif

As for beaches Nels look for the long open beaches like Maroubra, Kirra or Burning Palms.

I personally use escargot shells for my multis, i'm not sure if they're the best, but they came recommended by some friends in the states. they're hard to find by they are the best looking and cheapest shells i found. i had a add up in the classifieds selling em last week if u want to see what they look like.

raisehand.gif Hi DWD raisehand.gif

looks like u just beat me too this thead! i've packed them as best i can so hopefully aust post does us proud blink.gif sending them out tomorrow.

Thanks guys,

Carlos, any idea where i could find some of them shells? I actually have a couple of them already (bought from lfs) and they do seem to be a more appropriate size. The only problem is when you as to get shells in through wholesaler you never know what type of shells you get and they are usually expencive.

Anthony

Is it good to have various size shells? I think ive read in the past it's good to have some small ones for fry to eascape into???

Anthony

Ant, I used a jumble of different kinds and sizes of shells - probably some of them on the 'too heavy' side but my multi's seemed to utilise them all. Some females even picked some quite unexpected shells to spawn in. One female continually used a very heavy shell, the name escapes me, but those long spiral cone shape shells which belong to the animals that flood the mudflats of estuaries on the low tide.

I also offered mystery snail shells in lots of sizes, which my multi's all rejected in favor of the sea-shells I'd collected.

Hi Ant,

This is my multi set-up. In this tank I have used light shells (ie. mystery snails and escargot). Other tanks have (heavier) turbo and turban shells...I like to have "themes" in my so I dont mix them. however I have found all of the shells I have mentioned here to be successful. As you can see, I don't use a uniform size...they are staggered from very small (fry hidey holes) to large shells for spawning. Any "snail" shell is suitable.

user posted image

Andrea smile.gif

I have tried escargot shels but never found them asthetically pleasing so I switched to tonna shells. They come almost any size up to quite large ones (15cm tall). They are light enough for most determined shellie to move and they look great. I dont know the name of the snail it comes from but I can post a pic if nobody kows what they are like. I have had multies and hecqui (or meeli some confusion on IDs) previously and caudos presently spawning in this type of shell.

-worm-

Archived