Pseudotropheus sp. "Polit"

i might be getting 10 Pseudotropheus sp. "Polit" for a friend as he has always loved these fish but will like to know what will have to be the minimum size tank for 10 of them between 3.5 to 5cm,what type of food do they eat,what ph does the water have to be,are they aggressive towards each other(their going to be in a tank on their own),does their have to be a lot of hiding spots in the tank and at what size will he be able to sex them.

sorry about the 100 and 1 question but he would like to know everything about them before he buys them then loses them all like he lost his flavus.

cheers omar

Hi Omar,

I have mine in a 3 X 18 X 18. Lots of rock caves. Lots of show of agression but I have not had any problems. pH around 8 hardness at the higher end of the normal range. I feed mainly spirulina based foods. I even have fry surviving in the tank with the adults.

Cheers,

David

i might be getting 10 Pseudotropheus sp. "Polit" for a friend as he has always loved these fish but will like to know what will have to be the minimum size tank for 10 of them between  3.5 to 5cm,what type of food do they eat,what ph does the water have to be,are they aggressive towards each other(their going to be in a tank on their own),does their have to be a lot of hiding spots in the tank and at what size will he be able to sex them.

sorry about the 100 and 1 question but he would like to know everything about them before he buys them then loses them all like he lost his flavus.

cheers omar

Flavus....polits .......he definately likes them cranky......i can definately relate to that smile.gif .

All that David has mentioned, although I do suggest that if he is relatively new to mbuna that he opts for a larger tank.

The other option is to go for something more sedate woot.gif

Cheers

Aline

I would agree with Aline that a larger tank would be better. A tank around the 280 litres that has been stocked at a ratio of 2m/10f will mean that the the aggression is spread around a bit. Make sure there is plenty of cover as the males will hassle the females. A couple of PVC pipes at the top of the tank will also provide additional hiding for brooding females. As you are aware the males are light blue with the dark head and a couple of white bars but they have the ability to show female colouring almost instantly if they are stressed or disturbed. The females are a rusty colour.

Gerard

thanks for the reply,very much appreciated thumbup.gif .

would like to also know if its o.k to feed the frozen/live food e.g bloodworms, brimeshrimp etc and which one will be the best to feed them.

thanks for the reply,very much appreciated  thumbup.gif .

would like to also know if its o.k to feed the frozen/live food e.g bloodworms, brimeshrimp etc and which one will be the best to feed them.

hi Omar

go easy on the blood worms!, a few brine shrimps occasionally will be ok, but use a vege based food as the main food, best to use a rotation of vege and other flakes

hth, cheers

Archived