arapaima gigas

nick069

seen at tiny arapaima gigas at the lfs today, $2, 500, huge price tag but not as huge as the tank you will eventually need to house it. Just wondering if there is a few others goin around

nick

yeh they have been around :), about 6 months ago I posted a video of a 30" one in an LFS over here on a couple of Aussie forums.... Awesome fish and the scales are MASSIVE. I wouldnt mind one if A) I had the space and B) I had the money.

-Sutto

yeah the arapaim have been introduced to parts of africa and south east asia, great sport fish. The numbers in the amazon however are dissapearing, due to over fishing.

Have a look at this site, shows how huge these guys can get.

also look at the red variat of the arapaima

http://www.anglingthailand.com/awards21.htm

http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/warm_fr..._gigas_info.htm

nick!

id loved to see the video, c'mon sutto thumbup.gif  bigsmile.gif

The first one I saw in Oz was pre-forum-life. So I'm thinking they have been continually turning up for many many moons.

If you guys think it's tough to move a TSN once it outgrows a 8x2, imagine trying to move a gigas once it is too high bodied to be able to continue to live in the converted 12' diameter kiddie pool in your greenhouse no.gif

I unfortunately deleted it off the hosting (And dont have it on my computer) but I will try my hardest to get the original copy for a week or so and then Ill upload it ;) (Off tape).

Ducksta; Hehehehe I know what you mean, Even the 30" in the video looks like it was a massive PITA to Move (Shows thm moving it ;))

-Sutto

Sydney aquarium have only displayed natives when I have been there confused.gif

I think there are a couple of places that display large exotics, one on the Gold Coast? But I don't know about locally?

yeah i havnt seen arapiama here in aus for a few years now. not juvies anyway.

nick!

also look at the red variat of the arapaima

the red variant looks heaps good, the red colour is also very deep especially the on the pic with the closeup head shot

seen at tiny arapaima gigas at the lfs today, $2, 500, huge price tag but not as huge as the tank you will eventually need to house it. Just wondering if there is a few others goin around

this particular baby arapaima isnt at the shop anymore. owner told me it died. sad.gif

Those are some strange looking.....ummm aquatic things LOL.gif

I wouldn't pay $3 for one of them no.gif I wouldn't pay that for a fronty either LOL.gif

Nah they are weird looking, But i like the colouration on them thumbup.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Those are some strange looking.....ummm aquatic things LOL.gif

I wouldn't pay $3 for one of them no.gif I wouldn't pay that for a fronty either LOL.gif

Nah they are weird looking, But i like the colouration on them thumbup.gif

everyone has a different taste for different things in life!,,,life would be rather boring if everyone only like one type of fish, or one type of car or one type of house!! bigsmile.gif

money nearly buys everything in life except life itself!! smile.gif

• 1 month later...

Have allways liked these fish. If i had the room and money would be on my hit list of fish to own i think haveing a fence around the pond it lives i have herd they snatch small animals off the banks of the Amazon (herd) But if thats true that just makes them way mader.

Tim.

Archived