Measuring Fish

</STRONG></DIV><H1>Fish Measurement</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: elise007</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi All,

<br>

<br>

This may be an obvious question but when people say they have 4cm or 3.5cm fish etc for sale where do they measure from?

<br>

<br>

Is it mouth to end of tail or mouth to beginning of tail as it makes a fair size difference in many fish?

<br>

<br>

Thanks for any response.

<br>

<br>

Mark

<br>

<br>

By the way i ask because i have came across conflicting systems in Melbourne recently and now have discovered from experience that whether i am buying or selling it is a question that should be asked to avoid confusion. Didn't cause any problems because we realised we were talking about different sizes prior to any finalisation.

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: meesterclarence</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi. Yes, standard fish measurement is tip of mouth, to tip of tail.

<br>

<br>

Paul

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: elise007</STRONG><BR><BR>Paul,

<br>

<br>

Again maybe an obvious question but when you say tip of tail you do mean the physical end of the tail away from the mouth thus making for the longest possible measurement of the fish don't you?

<br>

<br>

Just want to make sure this is crystal clear in my mind at present.

<br>

<br>

If that is what you meant then that lines up with what i always thought as well. If not then i have been blissfully incorrect for years lol.

<br>

<br>

Mark

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: nlloydy</STRONG><BR><BR>I've had problems with this as well. When selling fish, I've said a fish (even ones with small tails - eg. lionheads) was x cms and then people say they are much smaller than they thought they'd be.

<br>

<br>

Sometimes I think it is because people have different mental images of what a cm is!

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

<br>

Nick.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Cichlid Boy</STRONG><BR><BR>I agree, most people can't approximate this with much accuracy. I always get a ruler out.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: calvus75</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Elise,

<br>

<br>

I understand what you are trying to enquire about. The most common measurement is Total Length (TL) from tip of the nose/mouth to the extremity of the tail. However, there are other measurements, which are more appropriate for certain species the most commnon these being Fork Length (FL) for measuring fishies like a featherfin catty.

<br>

<br>

I have some featherfin cats and if i were to sell them I would say F/s featherfins 17-19cm FL, or 25-27 TL. Obviously, the FL measurement is more appropriate in this instance.

<br>

<br>

Another measurement is called Caudal Length, measured from the extreme mouth end to the base of the caudal peduncle.

<br>

<br>

hth

<br>

paul

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: elise007</STRONG><BR><BR>Yep,

<br>

<br>

It all helps as for how to measure.

<br>

<br>

As for getting the fish length right i agree get a tape measure or ruler and put the fish on it first.

<br>

<br>

At least then if a buyer says thats not 3 cm you can physically measure it and say yep it is and they are not able to state that they were misled.

<br>

<br>

Mark

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: aurea23</STRONG><BR><BR>The other thing to do would be to view the fish...

<br>

<br>

Mike

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Cichlids au</STRONG><BR><BR>I do it from tip of nose to tip of tail. I also quote the smallest fish so that there is never any complaints and people are happy because they get fish that are bigger than they expected

<br>

<br>

Another way is to show them how big they are

<br>

Cichlids_au

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: akroyd</STRONG><BR><BR>The other common abbreviation is SL (standard length), which is preferred by those classifying scientifically.

<br>

<br>

SL is the length from tip of nose to base of tail ( end of caudal peduncle) And is preferred because often when collecting form the wild the tails are incomplete.

<br>

<br>

Final abbrev. is W/S L . This is the wholesale length and should be divided by two to get the true length.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: meesterclarence</STRONG><BR><BR>I've always seen it as tip of mouth, to tip of tail. However like anything in life, it's always open to interpretation. Good luck

<br>

<br>

Paul

Archived