Ged

Planted Tank

</a></STRONG></DIV><H1>How long should the lights be on for?</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: carneira</STRONG><BR><BR>I've seen a lot of different advice from lots of people lately about this.

<br>

<br>

For a planted aquarium, 5x2x2, with various fish (cichlids and a couple of others), how long should I be looking at having the lights on every day?

<br>

<br>

I have a timer, so I can turn it on or off in 15min periods all day. The issue is:

<br>

<br>

I wanna have the tank on at 7am - so I can feed at 7:30 before i go to work.

<br>

<br>

I get home at 6, and would like to have the light on till about 11pm (when I go to bed most nights).

<br>

<br>

so the questions are:

<br>

<br>

1. How long total "lights on" every day?

<br>

2. Is it okay to turn the light off during the day for a couple of hours (so I can keep them on till later)?

<br>

<br>

Any ideas?

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: emp1re</STRONG><BR><BR>If u have your light on from 7am to 11pm that 16 hours of light.

<br>

<br>

having such a long period of lights may cause cloudiness of the water and promotes algae growth.

<br>

<br>

i suggest 10-11 hours of light duration. have the timer turn the light on at 11.30am and turn off at 10.30pm.

<br>

<br>

u can feed the fishes without turning on the light in the morning and be able to inspect the fishes when u feed it at night.

</DIV><BR><BR></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: meesterclarence</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi. I'd say anywhere between 8-12 hours per day is a good range. I leave my Cichlid lights for 10-12, and my salt water's from 8-10. Have been doing so for years, with great results. Good luck

<br>

<br>

Paul

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>I agree with Paul 8-10 hours a day is plenty.

<br>

<br>

Saves on algae as well.

<br>

<br>

A timer from Coles will set u back about $8. Worth the expense.

<br>

<br>

<P><STRONG>Author: carneira</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanks for the help guys

<br>

<br>

I have a timer and it works great.

<br>

<br>

I have it set to be on now from 7 - 9am then 3 - 11pm

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: MagicaDiSpell</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi carneira,

<br>

<br>

I have a heavily planted tank that has lights on from about 8.30 to about midnight (or even a couple of hours longer, depending on when I decide to go to sleep). I have never experienced cloudiness due to long light periods, biologically that doesn't make much sense. I am sure that firemouth's cloudiness has a different cause.

<br>

<br>

As for algal growth: we used to turn off the lights for a couple of hours during the day and that certainly reduced algal growth. That was before we used plant supplements to promote plant growth. Since I am using Seachem florish and florish iron, I leave the lights on for the entire period and have no algal growth to speak of. If you have a planted tank and you maximize plant growth, then the algae will have nothing to grow on.