Wild Caught and F1

</DIV><H1>Wild Caught and F1</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: ALVIL</STRONG><BR><BR>Is this right?

<br>

From wild caught fish you get F0 then F1 and so on.

<br>

<br>

Alex

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: MagicaDiSpell</STRONG><BR><BR>Genetically speaking you don't actually ever get an F0. "F" stands for "Filial generation". So F1 is the first filial generation (offspring) of any given parental generation "P". Wildcaught is commercially often referred to as F0 - heaven knows who started that non-sensical term, but there you have it.

<br>

<br>

If you really get down to the nitty-gritty F1 does not necessarily refer to the offspring of wildcaught individuals, but to any offspring of any given unrelated parents. If the offspring is crossed with each other, or if you cross the offspring back with the parents, you get an F2 - the second filial generation, and so on. (I think that's right, YeW will correct me if I am wrong - no doubt

).

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hyperdive</STRONG><BR><BR>Sabine is right (I think

) but generally, in the trade, the F0 does refer to wildcaught, even if it's the wrong term. F1 refers to offspring of wildcaught, F2 the offspring of the F1 and so on.

<br>

<br>

If you buy fish from a shop or a breeder labeled F1 then you would pretty safely assume they are offspring of wild caught parents, but always ask just in case.

<br>

Archived