cucumber

Fins

<H1>My fish eat cucumber smile.gif</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00Phanny00</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey guys,

<br>

<br>

Yeah yesterday i put in some cucumber to see if my BN eat it.

<br>

So far i havent seen the BN eat it but the hongi eat it like crazy!!! The fronts also eat it aswell, is it good for them?

<br>

<br>

cheers

<br>

<br>

Richard

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: wui39</STRONG><BR><BR>Looks like i've got a new food source for my fish

<br>

<br>

<br>

Wui-Kiat

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hoges</STRONG><BR><BR>All my fish love cucumber, especially if I microwave it for 10 secs and its goes a bit softer!!! The also like peas if you put them in hot water for a bit (to soften them) and then pop the centres out of the skin!!! They go mad about peas

<br>

<br>

I originally did it for my pleccos but then everyone went for them!!!

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Benny85</STRONG><BR><BR>just wondering, how much cucumber do u feed ur tanks then in a daily basis, one whole one would be too much i would think?

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00Phanny00</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey,

<br>

<br>

Ill have to try them peas, sounds tasty!

<br>

<br>

I feed them half one half cut into two each night and place them in each side of the tank.

<br>

<br>

cheers

<br>

<br>

Richard

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: BlackOscar</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi,

<br>

Well today i went over to woolworths to buy zuchini for my BN, i've cooked it for about 30 seconds and it didnt seem to go soft that much!?! Well, then i threw it in the tank for my BN to eat buy all my other fish came and eat it.. do BN really eat zuchini? and how do i make it soft?

<br>

Are cucumbers the samE?

<br>

Thanks

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: eedward</STRONG><BR><BR>I usually:

<br>

slice my zuchinni

<br>

boil it for a few minutes

<br>

then empty it all into the sink

<br>

run cold water over the lot

<br>

store it in air tight container in the fridge.

<br>

<br>

My 4 BN fry seem to go through a slice a day

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Mudtea</STRONG><BR><BR>

<br>

<br>

I tried cucumber before, and I guess I sliced it too thin and it just stayed floting on the top.

Afraid that it will polute the water, I took it out after 5 mins, and I never tried cucmber again.

<br>

<br>

I now give my BN fry frozen pumpkin. I sliced the pumpkin and then put them in the freezer - that way it will sink to the bottom. I rinsed them with hot water before I put them in the tank. (I learned this from the guy I bought my BN fry from.)

<br>

<br>

The annoying thing is that my electric yellow and gombi fry will come and nibble on the pumpkin as well, and they are very hostile towards my bn babies.

<br>

<br>

Mudtea

<br>

Parramatta

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>If you want your bns to get the vegies and not the others, you need to feed the vegies at bedtime. You could do a daytime feed

and

a night time feed. For catfish it's best if the vegies sink, not so important for the other fish.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Mudtea</STRONG><BR><BR>Thankx Fiona. I will try it tonite. The piece of pumpkin I gave them this morning is still there.

<br>

<br>

My bn's get scared easily by the yellow and gombi. They swim away immediately (and at a very fast speed) as soon as the yellow/gombi approach.

<br>

<br>

Hopefully this will improve if I give them the vege at nite. :-)

<br>

<br>

MudTea

<br>

Parramatta

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>They may also take a night or 3 to get used to the idea of finding in a particular place, but if you make a routine, they will start expecting it to be there.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Mudtea</STRONG><BR><BR>Do I need to wait until the other fish are asleep? The fish normally stay awake/active as long as the light is still on.

<br>

<br>

So should I give them the vege after I turn the light off?

<br>

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>I find that if I especially want the bns to get the food I have to wait until the room light goes off because the others have no trouble finding and eating it otherwise. Especially if they know it's coming!

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00Phanny00</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey Mudtea,

<br>

<br>

When i feed my fish cucumber i slice it in half place it on a small or thin rock and put a rubber band on it, that way it stays on the floor without being freezed or anything.

<br>

<br>

cheers

<br>

<br>

Richard

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>you can also use a long stainless steel fork or skewer to keep it on the bottom (the longer it is, the drier your arm stays).

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Mudtea</STRONG><BR><BR>Thankx Richard & Fiona for ur suggestions.

<br>

<br>

I read a post (not long ago) abt someone putting too much zuchini in the fry tank, and it poluted the water so much that all the fry died. After reading that post, I have been very paranoid in terms of leaving fresh vege in the tank.

<br>

<br>

Do you find that cucumber polute the water quickly? I use pumpkin instead be'coz it doesn't seem to disintegrate that quickly.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: fiona ls</STRONG><BR><BR>Depends on how much you put in. If it's going mushy, or staying in there too long, you are putting in pieces that are too big!

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00Phanny00</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey Mudtea,

<br>

<br>

My cucumber slices have never gone like that and they havent polluted the watrer because my fish eat it too fast!

<br>

My friends tank however, he left it in for a day and the cucumber grew this furry like thing ontop which was prob the cucumber turning bad, when he took it out all the stuff went everywhere. I wonder why it happended

<br>

<br>

cheers

<br>

<br>

Richard

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: spraypakstu</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi all to keep your hands dry when feeding cucumber or zuchini poke a hole in the bottom of the slice and use a rubber band to attach the slice to a smallish rock tie a thin piece of fishing line to the rubber band and lower it in

<br>

Result = DRY hands and you can use it over and over again

<br>

<br>

Stuart

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00Phanny00</STRONG><BR><BR>But i like gettn my hands wet! tongue.gif

<br>

<br>

Richard

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: ussjxs</STRONG><BR><BR>Hello

<br>

This fish thing is all new. I have some electric blues,Salousi,eureka reds and Hongis.Can they eat vegies as I would like to feed them some thing other than the pellets I got from the fish shop

<br>

<br>

Any ideas would be great

<br>

<br>

James

</DIV>

<DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Beagly</STRONG><BR><BR>G'day James

<br>

<br>

Yes

your fish will like most of the veggies mentioned.

<br>

<br>

As they get used to it you will find they actively anticipate its arrival.

<br>

<br>

PS. Why not add some catfish to your tank, like Bristlies etc?

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: wysiwyg</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi,

<br>

I've found that many of my fish enjoy pumpkin, any squash, zucchini, cucumber, lettuce, silverbeet, chard, spinach, peas and carrot (all slightly blanched). In fact my clown loaches exhibit wonderful colour probably due to the carotene contained in some of these vegies.

<br>

<br>

wysiwyg

<br>

<br>

"have you had your seven veg today?"

</DIV>

Archived