Feeding

Ged

</DIV><H1>Feeding Going on a holiday?!</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Pommie Dave</STRONG><BR><BR>

<br>

I'm after some advice on feeding fish whilst away from home on a holiday. I'll be away for 2 weeks in a couple of months time YIPPEEEEEE... sorry... and I was concerned about what things I should remember to do in order to keep all my fish alive and well.

<br>

<br>

The pleasure of the feeding job goes to a mate who incidentally isn't a fish person... so yup it looks like my fish are all doomed already! Anyway I'm trusting him to feed them every 2-3 days with a good dose of food.

<br>

<br>

Do you think feeding them only once every 3 days is ok?

<br>

<br>

What type of food would be the best considering the length of time between feeds?

<br>

<br>

Is there anything else that I should remember to do to ensure I return to see happy smiley fishies??

<br>

<br>

Just for your information I have 6 tanks with mostly Malawi's and a few Tangies mixed in.

<br>

<br>

Appreciate any input guys.

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

Dave

<br>

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Auscanuckafishy</STRONG><BR><BR>Are they all adults or are there fry mixed in there as well?

<br>

<br>

If they are all adults, I would probably get him to feed them after a week, and then again half way through the next week, that should see them through no problems i'd say.

<br>

<br>

Fry are another matter, and would need feeding more often.

<br>

<br>

Mark

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: SamJW</STRONG><BR><BR>Becareful he doesn't overfeed them each time. I would suggest pre-preparing portions for him to feed your fish just in case (I know that's being very paedantic, however I'd rather see you fish alive).

<br>

<br>

Enjoy your holiday.

<br>

<br>

Cheers

<br>

<br>

Sam.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Pommie Dave</STRONG><BR><BR>Cheers Mark.

<br>

<br>

Most tanks I have are homes to adults and juveniles but I've also got a couple of tanks brimming with a mixture of fry ie lionheads, hongi's, saulosi, brichardi's and calvus. I suppose I'd be best to off load these before hand = Less stress to take away.

<br>

<br>

Also what do you think of the idea to condition the fish so they only get one meal every second day maybe a week before I go... just to get them prepared for the 2 week starve. Or is that going to make them more under nourished for the 2 weeks?

<br>

<br>

Can you suggest a food to give them if they were feed only once a week? To the adults and juves the is.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Auscanuckafishy</STRONG><BR><BR>Actually I find you can train their metabolism to work on a specific feeding regime. It may be good for them otherwise they may pass the food straight through the systems without getting a lot out of it, only to find they are gunna be starved for a bit

<br>

<br>

When I had fish in my 8ft (which is at my parents house) they weren't too confident in feeding them. So i just said, well don't, and I came up every couple of days to feed them. Eventually they were down to feeds every 3-4 days without showing any real ill-effects. They did gradually become thinner over this time, so I wouldn't do it for too long, my guys went along like this for about 4 months, without too much hassle.

. Now they're back on daily feeds, and they threw on the pounds real quick, I expect their metabolisms to adjust and they should start passing the food more quickly soon, and not storing so much of it

<br>

<br>

They shouldn't need anything special, just as long as it is a decent quality food, perhaps mix a few foods together just to make sure they're not lacking anything. Just remember when you get home they'll wanna jump outta the tank for your feeding attentions. Alas after 4 months (once my parents were confident to do it, just not every day) my fish forgot who i was

<br>

<br>

Mark

<br>

<br>

Mark

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Pommie Dave</STRONG><BR><BR>That's great... I've finally stopped sweating about the feeding issue with your advise Mark, you're a bloody champ.

<br>

<br>

Thanks also Sam.

<br>

<br>

Have a great Chrissy all!!

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: meesterclarence</STRONG><BR><BR>Greetings. If you ever have to leave, and can't find someone to help you, then automatic fish feeders are a great thing. You can program them to feed your fish, up to 3 times a day, for up to 2 weeks! Just a thought, fyi. Have fun on vacation.

Meester Clarence

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: burundi 6 bar</STRONG><BR><BR>you dont want to feed them enough for 2-3 days at once .this will be a recipe for desaster,feed same amounts of food as if feeding each day.unless you dont care if you loose the fish,this is what is likely to happen.

<br>

best of luck

<br>

cheers

<br>

darryl

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: richardvo73</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Dave,

<br>

<br>

I'd go the automatic fishfeeder, or if you don't want ot (or can't) spend the money go and buy some cheap pill boxes from a $2 shop.

<br>

<br>

Then tell your friend - "One compartment per feed" If he gets that wrong then I'd be finding a new freind!

<br>

<br>

I went away for two weeks and my freind looked after my fish just nicely under those instructions....

<br>

<br>

However I did get home to find the garage door open (blown open by wind - wife didn't close before we left) and man that was nerve wracking!

<br>

<br>

HTH

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

Richard

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>Yes, what Richard said, biggest problem with the 'inexperienced' is overfeeding, ensure each portion is measured and seperated.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>Dave -

<br>

<br>

If they are malawis you can always go out and buy 2-3 bunches of elodea and throw that in the tank... there is probably a weeks worth of greens there

<br>

<br>

This works particularly well for the more vegetarian species - and won't foul your tank.

<br>

<br>

<P><STRONG>Author: Lucifer</STRONG><BR><BR>Yew is right. use the plants

<br>

Im going to be gone for a week and i just bought some plant for my fishes to eat.

<br>

Ive done it before and it worked so im doing it again

<br>

<br>

have fun everyone who is going on hoildays cause i will

Archived