Keeping pH Level

Ged

</DIV><H1>Keeping pH level</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: pmc</STRONG><BR><BR>Have trouble keeping a steady pH level in my tank.

<br>

Any suggestions ??

<br>

<br>

Thanks in advance.

<br>

<br>

PMC

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Lucifer</STRONG><BR><BR>ME too

<br>

cant keep pH at 6 for my discus

<br>

keeps going back to pH 7

<br>

help would be nice

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: meesterclarence</STRONG><BR><BR>Greetings. There are many types of ph buffers on the market that will safely lower/raise ph levels. Water changes also affect them, and certain substrates greatly aid in maintaining higher ph levels for Malawi, and Tang. Africans. Good luck, and take care.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Cichlids au</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi pmc

<br>

<br>

What pH are you trying to achieve?

<br>

<br>

Hi Lucifer

<br>

<br>

For your discus I would suggest that you try peat, that should stop it from bouncing back to neutral

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Lucifer</STRONG><BR><BR>thanks ill try that out tomorrow

<br>

how bout the hardness?

<br>

is there any way to keep it soft?

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: danceswithdingoes</STRONG><BR><BR>Use quality peat in the filter (put it in a filter bag and rinse it thoroughly first) I used to 'brew' peat through an old coffee filter to make 'blackwater' extract.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: flashgordonv</STRONG><BR><BR>I'm struggling with this too. My setup is about 6 weeks old. GH is 18 degrees, KH is 17degrees. The PH slowly falls over a week from 9.2 to 8.2. Tap water comes out at 8.5 but with a KH of 2 and a GH of 6

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Auscanuckafishy</STRONG><BR><BR>If your pH is dropping by that much in a week it sounds as if there is insufficient carbonate hardness, which maintains a buffer, which in turn will keep your pH stable. Have you tested your kH after the drop? Try that and see if there's any difference.

<br>

<br>

If there is a change, that could be your prob, if not, then perhaps you're using the wrong mix of salts to maintain such a high pH. A mix of bicarb on it's own will skyrocket to a high pH, but will take only a matter of hours to stabilise below 8 again.

<br>

<br>

One other question.... a pH of 8.2 is sufficient to maintain both malawi's and tangs, do you think you really need it at 9.2? My tangs live and breed at around 8 sometimes even marginally below this. I realise that it's natural for them (those in the lake that is) but it is a lot harder to maintain then a lower pH.

<br>

<br>

One other thing, perhaps test for nitrates, they will bring your pH down once the buffer is overcome.

<br>

<br>

Mark

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Willy wombat</STRONG><BR><BR>I have always found that adding shell grit, or crushed oyster shells to your filter, or tank bottom sustrate will help to balance out your pH. They act as a pH buffer by eating up any H+ ions or OH- ions, and stop the pH from swinging around too much.

<br>

<br>

Do you understand what i am talking about when i am saying OH- and H+ ions. Let me know if you dont and i can write a bit more about this for you.

<br>

<br>

Ah, memories of first year Chemistry... *cringe*

<br>

<br>

Cheers

<br>

<br>

Willy

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: pmc</STRONG><BR><BR>Cichlid_au,

<br>

<br>

I am trying to maintain a pH 8 for my frontosa. Get some good ideas on you link. Thanks

<br>

<br>

<br>

Willy,

<br>

<br>

Will get some oyster shells from my mate who works in a seafood resturant and try it out. Thanks to you too.

<br>

<br>

<br>

Also thanks to everyone who made suggestions along the way.

<br>

<br>

My frontosas look happy in their new tank.

<br>

<br>

PMC

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Cichlids au</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi pmc

<br>

<br>

As you are starting to be aware you just need to buffer the water. Oyster shells will do the job, but a bag of shell grit in the filter will do it better.

<br>

<br>

I have grit in all my tanks, some in the substrate some in ice-cream container filters (top method) and in others I use a orange bag with damaged whole shells in it.

<br>

<br>

HTH

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Willy wombat</STRONG><BR><BR>Cichlids AU, i would have to agree, that shell grit is a better buffer in a filter than crushed oyster shells, (more space efficient too). I think it also acts as a good host for nitrifying bacteria. I change my bag in my filter every 6 months or so.....

<br>

<br>

Willy

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Cichlids au</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Willy

<br>

<br>

Yep, and I was glad to see you putting him on the path.

<br>

<br>

I think that a post about ion exchange would be a great thing for the forum, It would also help push up the general knowledge of all those that read it.

<br>

<br>

Check this article I have on my site about

The effect of pH changes on your fish.

<br>

<br>

It does not cover the ion exchange at all. If you do one I think it may end up in the Archives

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Lucifer</STRONG><BR><BR>hi ALL

<br>

<br>

i been around auburn and seem to cant find any1 selling peat or they dont seem to know what they are. (havent the LFS cuz i think they dont sell them)

<br>

<br>

dose any1 know of a place near auburn i can get the good quality peat?

<br>

<br>

thanks

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Willy wombat</STRONG><BR><BR>Lucifer,

<br>

<br>

try your hardware store, or garden supplies centre. They will usually have quality peat moss for sale at a reasonable price, just make sure you give it a good wash before putting it into your tanks.

<br>

<br>

Willy

Archived