Geophagus surinamensis- black throat

<H1>Geophagus surinamensis- "black throat"</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00 MooRRii 00</STRONG><BR><BR>Got a nice pair of these that look like spawning. The assumed male has been displaying like made to the female who has her tube down, this ha been going on for a couple days now, how long does courting usually last? any other breeding info would be appreciated also.

<br>

<br>

Also have a small group of Santanoperca Jurupari, any info on breeding these would laos be appreciated.

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Link 2 Hell</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Alex

<br>

G.surinamesis "Black Throat" is a G.brachybranchus sp.

<br>

this is a lavaphile or delayed mouth brooder that will lay eggs and pick the lavae free at about 48hrs

<br>

In my experience they have shown a tendency to prefer vertical spawn sites and a pale colour like white

<br>

My prefered temp to keeping a spawning pair at is 30*C and retain this temp for the fry while they develop to keep the metabolism active

<br>

<br>

Here is a good article on spawning G.daemon the points in the article are similar to the details used to breed G.leucosticta (Jurapari) with the exception of the ph and hardness used for the Daemon which is considerably lower than is neccessary for Jurapari

<br>

G.daemon spawning

<br>

L2H

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00 MooRRii 00</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanks for the reply Link.

<br>

<br>

I have the Geo's with some of my pleco's so i dont want to raise the temp too much, sitting on 28C at the moment, they are still courting as i typre this.

<br>

<br>

What other earth eaters are available in aus, other then balzanii, red humps and braziliensis.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Link 2 Hell</STRONG><BR><BR>4 species of Surinamensis - Altifrons, Brachybranchus, Rio Toncantins and sp. Pindare

<br>

Gymno geophagus meridionalis

<br>

Acarichthys heckelli

<br>

Guinacara geayi

<br>

We had G.daemon and G.acuticeps but I doubt if they are still around anymore

<br>

Thats all I can think of ATM

<br>

L2H

<br>

<br>

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 23Skidoo</STRONG><BR><BR>Just a question Link 2 Hell, i have just got two Surinamensis, red horse faces, of the species you listed above which would my G.surinamensis be?

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Link 2 Hell</STRONG><BR><BR>Skidoo

<br>

The most common one for sale is G.brachybranchus or Black throat unknown locale but I think it is from Guiana it is a bronze green base colour with red tinge in the upper body and dorsal and has a coarse horizontal scale pattern, the fish also shows black cheek marks and the black throat (when older about 10cm+ size which darkens at spawning)

<br>

Auburn Aquarium had some nice 15cm size ones in on Thursday when I was there

<br>

<br>

The G.altifrons was the original form that has been in the country over 20yrs but the numbers reduced to a point where they were in trouble a few yrs ago, they have made a return lately thanks to a couple og breeders the geographic is unknown for these fish but I presume it could be Manaus as this is a major export point for the trade and being a local varient would make it the prime locale

<br>

This fish is an emerald green with orange pelvic fins

<br>

<br>

The newest species to appear are G sp. Pindare and G.altifrons "Rio Toncantins" and the usual $$$ tag is associated with them because of this

<br>

L2H

<DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: gianniz</STRONG><BR><BR>as you guys probably know i am stuck with 3 males

<br>

<br>

however i noticed you said one of them have tube stuck out.. is that the girl? do boys have tube that stick out??

<br>

<br>

as tow of my geos always like hussle and kinda fight and one of them has this big ass tube (1/2cm) sticking out some times.. can this be a girl?? they are always near the ornament and clean it with their mouth and shake their body on it.

<br>

<br>

again the question is do males have egg tube as well.. cause if they dont then i might actually have a female

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: c2105208</STRONG><BR><BR>

Quote:"again the question is do males have egg tube as well"<BR><BR>

<br>

<br>

By definition, males can't have an 'egg tube' mate

<br>

<br>

But I get what you mean...

<br>

<br>

And... yes males can have a small elongation during breeding, but it's far smaller than the female one...

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Adam

</DIV>

Archived