What are Hybrids?

<H1>What are Hybrids?</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Convicts rule</STRONG><BR><BR>I would like to know what are hybrids but as far as i have seen they are not very good.

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi -

<br>

<br>

Try this article:

<br>

www.sydneycichlid.com/flowerhorn.html

<br>

<br>

HTH -

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Convicts rule</STRONG><BR><BR>

Thxs yew u taught me something

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: jaz1986</STRONG><BR><BR>I have not read the article... but a hybrid is basically two different varieties of the same species producing an offspring which is called a hybrid... you will often see it in plants as F1 hybrid. For example... a mule is a hybrid between a horse and a donkey...

<br>

<br>

Sometimes that hybrids are fertile... sometimes they are infertile... it all depends!!!

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hyperdive</STRONG><BR><BR>I suggest you read the article then. A hybrid is a crossbreed between two distinct species, not varieties of the same species.

<br>

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: jaz1986</STRONG><BR><BR>hyperdrive,

<br>

<br>

I appreciate that I made a mistake in defining a hybrid... I will now quote my biology textbook (I have just come back from my bio exam)... A hybrid is "the offspring of two parent organisms from the same species, but different varieties as is found in monohybrid maize or oval radish found in most supermarkets. It may also include some technically unlikely, but existant where organisms from different species, of equal chromosome number, which prodominatly produce UNVIABLE offspring as in the case of the mule or hinny (horse*donkey) or the liger (lion*tiger)"... I then looked up unviable... which means they are either infertile (cannot reproduce) or do not survive past embryonic stage...

<br>

<br>

So yes, I am sorry, it can include different species, but I stand by the general definition being organisms from the same species, but different varieties...

<br>

<br>

Thanks

<br>

<br>

Jared

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: hyperdive</STRONG><BR><BR>No worries Jarerd,

<br>

<br>

When speaking about fish, the common term hybrid refers to inter species crossbreeding. I'm sure things like plants etc probably have their own definitions, but we are not worried about those definitions here (well I'm not anyway).

<br>

<br>

As is my understanding, if you bred say, an Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Otter Point" male with an Aulonocara jacobfreibergi "Chirwa Island" female, it would not be regarded as a hybrid, but the resulting offspring would not be a pure strain (which is nearly as bad).

<br>

<br>

Now if you bred an A. jacobfreibergi type with an A. stuartgranti type, the offspring

would

be regarded as a hybrid.

<br>

<br>

If that is wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. I'm far from the expert when it comes to genetics, but that is the impression I get from the many discussions about them over the years.

<br>

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>Spot on Andy - that's the idea as we apply it here.

<br>

<br>

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: jaz1986</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanks,

<br>

<br>

I must admit... my experience of fish breeding is guppies and convicts mainly... so I am still learing, thanks for clearing that one up!

<br>

<br>

Jared

<p></P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>I should also add that most plant hybrids (and many cichlid hybrids) do produce viable offspring.

<br>

<br>

The reasons for this are: 1. Plants are fairly robust when it comes to genetic abnormalities and 2. Cichlids (at least rift lake cichlids) are relatively recently diverged from their common ancestor and most probably have the same number of chromosomes.

<br>

<br>

HTH

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 23Skidoo</STRONG><BR><BR>It's not just rift lakers, all cichlids are so closely related (diverged from a common genetic ancestor) that i'm suprised there aren't more hybrids in nature.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: phatoscarlover</STRONG><BR><BR>

Who Needs Another Hybrid

<br>

<br>

Cheers Andy

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00 Electric 00</STRONG><BR><BR>23Skidoo ofcource theres lots of hybrids in nature..

<br>

<br>

But then they breed with the pure ones and after a while the hybrid is spred through the colony. Causing stronger fish or differnt colour.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: YeW2001</STRONG><BR><BR>Electric -

<br>

<br>

Hybridisation (in cichlids or otherwise) is relatively rare in the wild. This is not too say it doesn't occur (it does) but it isn't common.

<br>

<br>

</DIV>

Archived