Funnell-web Spiders, Insects etc

E4G13M4N

<H1>Licence for Funnelwebs?</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: slotha</STRONG><BR><BR>I remember when i was younger keeping a MASSIVE female Funnelweb and was just wondering what the laws are with these? I am no longer interested in keeping these (thank god) but was still interested in the legal requirements. Whats the go with all spiders including those Bird Eating Spiders?

<br>

Thanks

<br>

Tim

<br>

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Memphis Tank</STRONG><BR><BR>I was recently at Macquarie shops and the pet shop there was selling bird eating spiders and the only requirement for them was to be over 18.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>That's correct. Unfortunately, spiders haven't been considered for protection yet and you are free to keep whichever species of native spider you like.

<br>

<br>

Spiders are, however much more difficult to keep alive than one might think. Bird-eating Spiders should have a lifespan of many years, but due to limited experience of keepers, most end up dying within months of being captive. Funnell-webs are even more sensitive than these. You must recreate the perfect environmental humidity, habitat, etc. for the spiders to survive a good length of time. Feeding them is fortunately not difficult.

<br>

<br>

In furtherance, very little research has been done into the venom capabilities of Bird-eaters... BUT they are known to be very toxic. If you do get one, make the hell sure that you are not bitten!

<br>

<br>

Arachnidally yours,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: urodacus</STRONG><BR><BR>People are alot more educated about Australias Theraphosids now than a few years ago, and if Robert Raven gets his way laws will be put in place to protect them. Most of the spiders in petshops are still undescribed, alot being Phlogiellus sp. Without protection, some species could be wiped out before theyre even described by science.

<br>

If anyones interested in scorpions, spiders etc. try these 2 sites:

<br>

<br>

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/australianscorpionclub

<br>

<br>

or

<br>

<br>

www.groups.yahoo.com/group/australiantarantulaforum

<br>

<br>

Yeah, the fangs on one of my spiders are over 10mm long, i make sure my fingers are well and truly out of the way when shes angry

<br>

Im urodacus_au on both sites.

<br>

Cheers

<br>

Jordan

<H1>bug license... </H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 00 MooRRii 00</STRONG><BR><BR>Their isnt really a forum for this type of thread so i poted here.

<br>

<br>

Just wondering if you need a license to keep local parying mantis and spiders? i have heard that you don't?

<br>

<br>

any info would be appreciated.

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Alex,

<br>

<br>

I believe that as it stands, insects and arachnids are not protected under a licence arrangement. However, I am not sure if this is so in WA, so you should check with authorities there.

<br>

<br>

Apparently, they don't see these critters as worthy of protection because they don't consider them to be animals or whatever... It's a shame because one such pet insect species, The Spiny Leaf Insect (

Extatosoma tiaratum

) is now extinct in the wild, having been eaten out of existence by the Indian Mynah. This insect is frequently sold in pet shops across NSW and has not been considered for protection!

<br>

<br>

To add insult to injury, most Bird-eating Spiders sold in pet shops are as yet uncatalogued species. They may in fact become extinct before they are even properly described by taxonomists! These spiders don't tend to live their full lives (over a decade) in captivity, having special needs which we are unable to meet. They also do not seem to reproduce in captivity.

<br>

<br>

Anyway, that's enough rambling...

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 23Skidoo</STRONG><BR><BR>i can understand your pain leptomianiac, but half the reason these arachnids are still undescribed is that no one wants to be a taxonomist anymore, why describe a species when you could get into genetics and build one?

<br>

This is the scariest part of modern science and it's becoming more and more widesreead, no longer do we look to the world around us for answers to human questions, instead we want to change the world to fit in with human wants (not needs)

<br>

<br>

Sorry, thats a bit of a rant, but our native herps, arachnids and insects are some of the most amazing in the world, not to mention fish, so why will we sit back and let it happen. We have to force the point, whats stopping you going camping, and taking a photo of every spider you see, mark on a map where you saw them, take notes, watch them. There was a time when "naturalists" opened the eyes of the world to eveything, now there's only Steve Irwin. Well at least he's teaching people to love nature.

<br>

Sorry again for ranting.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>I can see some of your points rather clearly. However, we do not only have Steve Irwin teaching people to love nature. I am actively involved in several conservation organisations and I frequently put up my hand to educate the public at fairs, festivals, etc. Not only myself, but a whole lot of other people I know do it too.

<br>

<br>

In my opinion, Steve Irwin is a showman. I have seen animals put through what I call unnecessary stress on some of his episodes and whilst he is a great campaigner for conservation, he would not be my ideal choice for a role model to aspiring conservationists. Though, I understand how much he does, and I take my hat off to him for his efforts.

<br>

<br>

Did you know that these forums are monitored by relevant authorities? By merely stating our pro-conservation viewpoint, we are helping the situation by putting public views to those who need to see them most.

<br>

<br>

There are many taxonomists still working, and even some that are currently working on the very spiders in question. Unfortunately, they can only work so fast, and there is precious little time.

<br>

<br>

Let's hope it's all better in the near future...

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 23Skidoo</STRONG><BR><BR>Thaks Andrew, i didn't want to come across as a bastard or anything, it's just one of those things that makes me very angry. And it's escellent to see that there are people out there still trying. And as for Steve Irmwin, well he is a few tinnies short of a slab, but thats the character, which i firmly believe he is, there is more brains in that head than he lets on. People have learnt to love animals, no matter how deadly, just by watching his shows, and if he has to stress out a few animals (like we do when transporting fish or herps, not as bad though) in order to save alot more, than good on him.

<br>

<br>

Once again i can see that Leptomaniac and a few others on this page are seriously concerned with issues of conservation, and to a lesser degree the effects of our lives upon the animals we live around.

<br>

<br>

Also, might be going on a bit of an expedition up north in a couple of months, we'll see what that brings?

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey 23Skidoo,

<br>

<br>

Tell us a bit more about this expedition... I help run field studies for the Australian Herpetological Society.

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: urodacus</STRONG><BR><BR>G'day

<br>

<br>

The Theraphosidae in northern QLD are slowly being wiped out of existence. The majority of animals that are collected (because theyre big and 'scary') are unidentified Phlogiellus sp. Most of these unidentified spiders are then sold off as Selenocosmia crassipes, which is easy enough to ID without too many hassles. Some of these spiders being collected north of Cairns more than likely have only small ranges, so persistent collection at one spot could wipe them out all together.

<br>

The same thing is happening with scorpions. Theres 3-4 Urodacus species being sold to petshops, some of these have been identified as U spinatus and U macrurus, but theres still unidentified species being sold. The last australia wide scorpion revision was done in 1977 by Koch, so theres been plenty of time for new species to be found but they are yet to be identified.

<br>

Rob Raven is pushing for laws to conserve australian Theraphosids, or atleast regulate the amount of animals coming out of the bush. Its a step in the right direction atleast.

<br>

<br>

Bit of an essay, if you read this far, you did well

<br>

Cheers

<br>

Jordan

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: 23Skidoo</STRONG><BR><BR>Well Lepto, as for my expecdition, it's looking like a small group, maybe 3 or 4 of us. It's going to be fly camping, hopefully from Cairns, down to the NSW border, possibly as far as Lismore/Armidale region. TRavel between locations is still unknown as is the length of the trip. I cannot take the responsibilty of a group of people though i will keep you informed as there could be room for one more. How much camping/bush experience have you got? Can you hunt/fish/trap? I did warn you it was an expeditio, not a camping trip.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>HAHA

Don't worry about me - I've been doing this sort of thing ever since childhood. I have been involved in several such expeditions and as for roughing it, I have done so on many occasions without hassles. Yes, I can hunt/fish/trap as well.

<br>

<br>

I wasn't going to suggest that you take a group of people along, but I may be interested in going (depending on timing and convenience, of course). Anyway, keep me posted. What is the main objective of your expedition? To catalogue new species of arachnid?

<br>

<br>

Cheers

<br>

Andrew.

Archived