Telmatochromis brichardi

</DIV><H1>Telmatochromis Brichardi</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: starrey</STRONG><BR><BR>I aquired 4 of these last night and would like some more info on them. I have looked them up on the net but have not found a great deal on them , at least info that is in English. I would like to know do they need shells to live in and are they a shy fish as mine appear very shy. How do you sex them. Do they have a similar diet to the ocelatus. Can one possibly keep them in a tank with ocelatus. I think there is a male in the group just not sure which one.

<br>

<br>

Sarah

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: mazz</STRONG><BR><BR>

<br>

Found this on the net in French translated don't know if it's good enough.

<br>

<br>

Telmatochromis Brichardi

<br>

Origin: Lake Tanganyika, close to Magara in north and in the southern half of the lake.

<br>

Cut: 6 cm

<br>

Sexual differentiation: None

<br>

Maintenance: Peaceful species

<br>

Cohabitation: To avoid other Telmatochromis slim ( T bifrenatus, T vittatus ).

<br>

<br>

Food: Picore the algae and invertebrates but also nourishes eggs the laying ones on substrate discovered (large lamprologists by ex.)

<br>

<br>

Reproduction: Laying on hidden substrate. Frequently observed in the beds of shells.

<br>

<br>

Note: Very peaceful species not requiring large aquariums and which can thus be recommended for the beginners.

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: starrey</STRONG><BR><BR>thanks Mazz, that information was very helpful, i am also hoping to encounter someone on here who keeps them as well. I dont know about peaceful though they will go a bristlenose if it comes too close. Sarah

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: skak</STRONG><BR><BR>i you don't mind me asking how much did they cost you?

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Alex Down Under</STRONG><BR><BR>Alright Sarah, they are pretty easy going, males are much bigger than females and will claim a territory, like a crack in a rock, and display to the female from there, easy to spawn.

<br>

They will take eggs from other egg layers, in the wild similar species taking eggs from very large predators, like Lepidolamprologus, as they look like their fry. I had a calvus spawn go missing, which I attributed to these guys.

<br>

But otherwise they are fine with most things, they'll be fine with occelatus if there are enough cavities etc.

<br>

<br>

Hth,

<br>

Alex

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: CID</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Sarah

<br>

Were they T.brichardi or T.bifrenatus you got ??

<br>

Chris D

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: starrey</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Alex thanks for the info, there is so little found on the net so that was useful. Would they be ok in a 30x14x18 for 4 t.brichardi and 3 ocelatus. I think then i may have two males and two females as two are considerably larger then the other two.The other alternative could they be kept in a bristlenose breeding tank that i am in the process of setting up.

<br>

<br>

Hi Chris,

<br>

<br>

they are t. brichardi (originally belonged to Ben P), however when i asked a couple of people they said bifrenatus and t.brichardi were the same fish. However according to some info i found the bifrenatus only grows no bigger then 4-5cm.

<br>

<br>

Hi Mazza, i paid $20 but i believe they retail for much more.

<br>

<br>

Sarah

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Alex Down Under</STRONG><BR><BR>Hehehehe, so Ben thinks they were his fish huh?

<br>

I believe, if you check their pedigree papers, that they were originally my fish

, bred from fish I bought from Norm Haliwell a few years back sold as T brichardi.

<br>

I think they'll be fine in the 30".

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: starrey</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Alex

<br>

<br>

well in that case, how old roughly would they be and would you know then if there are two boys and two girls.Sarah

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: CID</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi All

<br>

when after checking Tang Cichlids I read that

<br>

Ad states

<br>

"the fish cichlid keepers used to call T.bifrenatus has now been described as T.brichardi and the true T.bifrenatus is rarely seen in the hobby"

<br>

<br>

So its the same fish we always had but its has been

<br>

ID'ed to its true name

<br>

beware paying more because of the name change

<br>

<br>

Mark take note of this for the records and Breeders awards

<br>

<br>

Chris D

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: starrey</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Chris

<br>

<br>

so it is the same fish, they say the t.bifrenatus is a dwarf tang and it doesn't grow more then 4-5cm at the most, when my biggest t. brichardi is 6+ cm. Does that mean that even in the USA they dont have the t.bifrenatus anymore. Just curious is the t.brichardi a common tang here in Oz. Sarah

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: nornicle</STRONG><BR><BR>thats interesting, so is the fish you saw that I had a brichardi then Chris??

<br>

<br>

regards

<br>

<br>

Richard

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: CID</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi Sarah

<br>

At 6cm it should be close they get to 7-8cm

<br>

around 3" in the old language

<br>

These are the same fish as before just reclassified

<br>

with the correct name so like I said don't pay any

<br>

extra for the name

<br>

They are not new to the hobby out here

<br>

<br>

Hi Richard

<br>

Yep your little fish is now T.brichardi but the education process will be long and frustrating if it follows the usual

<br>

lines of retail ethics

<br>

<br>

So go forth with the knowledge ... you can't fool me

<br>

Chris D

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: starrey</STRONG><BR><BR>thanks Chris, for the info , i think they are an interesting fish, seem rather shy and like to hide most of the time at the present they are sharing a tank with 4 bristlenose. Sarah

<br>

Archived