Tropheus Duboisi maswa mouthful

<H1>Tropheus Duboisi maswa mouthful</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: gaz81</STRONG><BR><BR>Hi guys,

<br>

Being the total novice that i am when it comes to Tropheus I was very suprised to come home today to find one of my Tropheus duboisi holding, particularly since i only bought them last thursday.

<br>

<br>

Now i need to know what the best way to deal with it is. Do I leave her in the tank or seperate her, strip her (if so after how long) or let her spit them out naturally and can i leave the fry in the tank or get them out.

<br>

<br>

Thanx Gary

</DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: jonsey151</STRONG><BR><BR>Well gaza in my limited experimentation of keeping tropheus, i would say it is her first mouthful and probably wont hold many eggs anyway, so would let her spit it in the tank, if you have plenty of rocks nooks and cranny the fry will survive, after a few females have spat, take everything out of the tank, collect the fry to sell or keep them to grow up to be part of the colony, repeat the process...

<br>

<br>

My 2 cents Michael.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Mazimbwe</STRONG><BR><BR>Jonsey has given the same advice that I received from BengaBoy...in a different manner.

<br>

They should look great if you leave em in the tank to join the colony. The young will hold their dot's a lot longer that way.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: xchimbax</STRONG><BR><BR>If u dont want to lose any strip the female at around 20-22 days the fry are developed and eat flake straight away , what i do is put all the fry in a clear plastic fry saver in the same tank for about 4 weeks so they get a bit of size on them and then introduce them back with the adult colony , that way u dont have to set up a fry tank , and make sure the fry saver is clear so the adults can see the fry and get use to them.

<br>

Works well for me , HTH.

<br>

<br>

<br>

<br>

Maswa fry at 22 days

<br>

<br>

<br>

Jim...

<br>

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: gaz81</STRONG><BR><BR>Thanx for the advise guys, i think i will leave her in the tank and save sressing her out.

<br>

<br>

Gary

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: BengaBoy</STRONG><BR><BR>Generally they hold around 28 days, but on occasion, esp first time, quite a bit longer.

<br>

As long as you have no predatory tankmates, and some hiding places for the fry, letting the female to release in the tank is a joy to behold - most mums will take the fry back into their mouth for up to a week to protect them. Then the fry will stay hiding for a week or two picking off food whenever they can before being brave enough to venture out into the rat-pack.

<br>

whenever I have females holding or young fry in the tank I wet the flake first before chucking it in -this way it sinks much faster and holding females and fry can get a chance to get at it.

<br>

I usually put the rocks for the fry to hide in in a place where the current takes the food past, sometimes at the front on the tank so I can have a perve at feed time.

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: gaz81</STRONG><BR><BR>I have noticed that she is still eating, is this normal? She eats much slower than the rest of the colony but I am used to mbuna that just go hungry for a couple of weeks.

<br>

<br>

Thanx Gary

</DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: BengaBoy</STRONG><BR><BR>eating while holding is normal

<br>

occasionally one might not for a while, I have only seen them not eat a few times and usually from around days 3 - 10.

<br>

<br>

a Tropheus not eating !

</DIV>

Archived