Blue tongues and Beardies

E4G13M4N

<H1>Blue tongue and beardie</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: goosey123</STRONG><BR><BR>Heya. I just picked up a blue tongue skink (6 weeks old, eats like a pig) and was wondering if it's safe to have a beardie in the same tank (roughly the same age) at least for a few months until I pick up a second tank.

<br>

<br>

Any suggestions? Will they eat each other? Will they mate and make spiny blue tongued dragons?

<br>

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>Howdy,

<br>

<br>

They'll be fine in together, just make sure they both get the required amounts of UVA and UVB spectrums.

<br>

<br>

Their diets are very different, the Bearded Dragon will respond better to live foods such as crickets and cockroaches, etc. The Bluey loves a mix of soft fruits, snails, mince, etc. Do not feed mealworms - these block up the digestive tract.

<br>

<br>

Hope this helps,

<br>

Andrew.

<H1>bearded dragons and blue tounges</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: new starter</STRONG><BR><BR>hey all,

<br>

well i have got a northern longneck, some cichlids and a blue tounge lizard, but i was looking at getting a pair of breeding bearded dragons in darwin.

<br>

what sort of enclosure would be best for them?? four foot tank? if so how high and wide?

<br>

and any other info would be oppreciated.

<br>

also any sites on blue tounge lizards would be oppreciated aswell.

<br>

<br>

thanks

<br>

charles

<br>

<br>

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: Link 2 Hell</STRONG><BR><BR>Charles

<br>

<br>

I would think an outdoor reptile pit would work well

<br>

up there for the Beardies

<br>

<br>

L2H

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: E4G13M4N</STRONG><BR><BR>

<br>

You would be on the money Link..

<br>

<br>

I would keep all reptiles in a pit with a more natural setting

<br>

than indoors, if i lived in the right area ..

<br>

<br>

^Mark^

<br>

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: new starter</STRONG><BR><BR>

so how would the beardies go with a blue tounge or two in a five foot out door pit

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>They'll be fine together. I once had a community pit with Water Dragons, Blueys and Turtles - all breeding and never any problems.

<br>

<br>

Cheers,

<br>

Andrew.

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: the reptilian</STRONG><BR><BR>could anyone give me some ideas on a design for a comunity pit with four beardies and two blue toungs??

<br>

links with photos would be best

<br>

thanks

</P></DIV><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: leptomaniac</STRONG><BR><BR>G'day,

<br>

<br>

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

<br>

<br>

Secondly, reptile pits...

<br>

<br>

My community pit was a large aviary, converted to contain a pond and other necessary bits'n'pieces. However, if you can help it, this is not ideal because reptiles can damage their nasal scales on the wire.

<br>

<br>

I would suggest a large ring of 3ft tall colourbond steel, with a tree or two in the middle for the beardies. Good, thick leaf-litter covering for the blueys to play in would be great, too. Have a few flat stones for basking as well, and a lined depression which can hold water. The only risk with this sort of pit is that of Kookaburras and Currawongs attacking small specimens. You can avoid the risk by obtaining large animals and incubating eggs as they are laid (beardies), or separating live young (blueys) when they are born.

<br>

<br>

Hope this helps,

<br>

Andrew.

<H1>Advice for newbie</H1><DIV id=Qtextbox><P><STRONG>Author: cichlids rock</STRONG><BR><BR>Hey all! I am not new to fish but TOTALLY new to reptiles! My brother is very interested in keeping bearded dragons and blue tongue lizards. My Q's are:

<br>

<br>

1. What size tank is ideal for a couple of them

<br>

2. Should you buy a pair to keep together or 2 males or 2 females or by themselves

<br>

3. Do they need a reptile lamp/fluro thing with those reptile tubes in them

<br>

4. What is the best substrate to use

<br>

5. Best brand of food, or best human food or live food suitable for them food

<br>

<br>

Also any info on obtaining a license for them in QLD would be much appreciated.

<br>

<br>

Thanks all

</P></DIV><H2>Replies »</H2><DIV id=Atextbox><P><STRONG>Author: the reptilian</STRONG><BR><BR>hey, and welcome.

<br>

<br>

bearded dragon:

<br>

1. 4x2x2 would be sufficient

<br>

2. as hatchies i would keep them together but then separtate when they grow to be larger. male and female would do best though.

<br>

3. i personally use a downlight for my bearded dragons but those reptie tubes work as well. but the thing with them is that the UVA can run out before the actual globe blows.

<br>

4. as hatchies probly paper towl or newspaper. but as adults if look is no problem then breeders choice or news paper is ok. also butchers paper.

<br>

5. i feed about 60% dead food 40% live. by this i mean 60% vegetables and 40% crickets and roaches.

<br>

<br>

Blue tounge:

<br>

1. probly the same as above.

<br>

2. i keep singly

<br>

3. i don't think that UVA/UVB is as important but cant hurt.

<br>

4. same as above

<br>

5. any type of dog or cat food. dog food is probly best because it has a better nutritional value. i would prefer a dog food with less gravey.

<br>

<br>

hope this helps

<br>

cheers

<br>

charles

Archived