Getting them rocks clean

jefflid

Hi all,

I went out today and got my hands on some 'lucky stone' i think the place called it - they look like river stones, nice and round with some variations in shape.

I read somewhere that you should always give any rocks you are going to use in your aquascaping a clean with bleach. So off i went with the bleach, gave them a good scrub, and then hosed them down with a high pressure water gun.

After that I thought i'd give them the smell test to see if I could still smell the bleach, and sure enough, I could still smell it. I gave them another blast, and still I can smell it on the rocks.

How do i get the bleach off the damn things?

Any advice would be great, as my saulosi are getting alittle territorial and I need to get them into their new 4ft tank before my male (who is transition) really ticks off his prospective wives.

hi

using bleach wasn't the smartest idea, as you have found out. just a good scrubup in hot water will do. you can boil them if you have the nessasary equipment.

you can either leave them in the sun for a week or so, depends on how much

bleach/water solution you used. or put then in a bucket/tub, cover with water and use a double dose of water conditioner, leave them for 24hrs then give 'em the sniff test again, and repeat the dose again at the faintest odur. HTH

cheers;

Hi colfish,

Your a champion. I just wanted to clarify one thing with you though. Do you mean that if I boil them, that will get rid of the bleach? If so, how long should I boil them for?

I also have some additional info on the bleach.

It contained:

Sodium Hypochlorite 42g/l

Chlorine 4.0%m/v

It was also lemon scented, or so it says, i didn't smell any lemons!

Cheers

Hi all,

Thanks for the advice, I feel rather stupid about what I did, but hey, we've all made one or two mistakes when we start out - right???

Boiling the rocks for 1/2 hour in salty water, and then left to soak for about 20 mins in cold water seems to of done the trick.

Thanks for your help all.

Cheers

A little bit wiser.

Archived