Substrate: Effect on pH

i think when the water turns yellow,but you probly practise good husbandry and do regular water changes, which, living in sydney , will always push the ph back to 7.5 , a friend of mine used to breed discus(the king of aquarium fish-not) and used to run his water through an ion exchange resin , this worked in the south of england where water was kept in chalk reservoirs and the ph and hardness was of the scale ,is there any discus dudes out there can help?

An RO unit could definately help. It will remove the calcium from the water thus removing the hardness.

Using wood to buffer the water is not the way to go in my opinion. What actually affects the hardness and thus pH from wood is the tannic acids released. The more tannic acids, the more affect on pH. However, as has been said, your water will be tea coloured. Tannic acids are impossible to control, and levels from a particular piece will gradually deplete.

I would probably be looking toward CO2 injection to lower the pH.

Sydney tap water has a ph of about 7.5, but last time I tested it, the hardness was relatively low. So the pH can be altered alot more easily, than if the water was harder.

RO:=Reverse Osmosis

I am sure a quick forum search would uncover all the mysteries involved with how CO2 affects pH. I am not sure the exact scientific details, so I will leave it at saying somehow CO2 injection reduces pH. If you can't find it in technical forum, planted forum would have in depth discussion I am sure. They probably also have a detailed description of how to make a CO2 injector with a coke bottle some airline and yeast thumb.gif

Ive had a quick read and both of these methods definitely will reduce my pH. But from what i udnderstood, it will reduce the pH and/or hardness by quite alot, making it all a bit unstable. The ideal pH for the pepps is around 6.2-6.5 (to my knowledge) and they have been known to breed at 7 and even 8 sometimes.

Am I on the right set of train tracks?

Adding CO2 in such a small tank is going to be a real pain. I would think it would be too volatile. Unless you used a pH regulator which is big dollars. sadsmiley02.gif

Traditionally producing soft acid water was done using peat. Yes it does soften the water and also release some tannins( but this is not the main mechanism). It is quite difficult to regulate in the tank. Usually the water is treated in a large drum and then mix with tap water to achieve the desired result. Pretty fiddly??

How important is pH anyway? As you said they seem to have been spawned at a variety of pH's.

Cheers

Brett

Whats discus buffer? Is it like a pH minus product?

Brett4Perth, I think the pH is is moderately important, but even more important is the softness of the water. I have read that water softness is a prerequisite for them to start breeding.

Mike,

Sydney tapwater is classified as soft. I think from memory my last test was 4kH/gH, pH 7.5 It still bounces overnight after using acid buffers etc...

In my Discus breeding days, I use to breed Discus in plain tapwater, but I use to lower the pH to 6.2-6.4 using Seachem Acid Buffer (strong stuff). I didn't add it directly to the tank, I prepared the water in barrels. You need to stabalize the water before it goes into the tank (apply buffer-overnight-retest-reapply buffer-overnight-retest etc..) It can be very difficult to maintain a stable low harness/low pH environment.

Using R.O can be as much of a pain, first you have a 70% wastage of water from the R.O unit, then you need to add stuff back to the water to add stability because it's too soft. tongue.gif

IMO, tapwater hardness and pH is fine for peps.

My peps were breeding in african rift lake conditions, along side my Alto. Sumbu fry.

So, plain tapwater IMO is the best compromise K.I.S.S

HTH Ed

imho if their orange spot ,peppermint or albino go for all the above ,if their normal id just prepare a drum of water with some ph down ,as posted above sydney water is soft so a bit of ph down should see you right ,with a 2 footer you only need a large bucket prepared 2-3 days before your water changes,but if they are of the exotic variety co2 injection may be the way to go ,but this is just my opinion

As Brett said, Adding peat moss lowers ph, i'm not sure how much or exactly how it works but this is the most common way of lowering ph and keeping it there. It is commonly used in discus tanks for this purpose.

Anthony cool.gif

Mike,

I presume you are trying to get low pH and low conductivity.

Adding buffers will lower your pH, but it will increase your conductivity.

Wood has the same effect as peat, just slower.

Cheers

Brett

ps Better to get the peat from a garden store, take care it does not have any additives. Some peat is better than others. The German black peat is difficult to get now.

Archived