Saratoga

JimmyCalvus

Short answer, yes they can.

However, this being said, everything has to be within reason. Aussie Aro's ('toga) are said to be the most aggressive of the arowana's. Not just that, but they need large tanks to be happy on their own. So given sufficient room (ie. a very large tank) and well chosen tankmates, they can definately be a part of a large fish community.

I agree, calvus's is a no no.

The thing that I've found is that is that toga's are surface swimmers, too much activity in the bottom can cause disease called drop eye where the eyes pop outta the sockets. This is why you must only feed them at the surface and avoid anything that sinks. Anyways jimbo I guess you've heard the "lips" just bought one and you are eager too.

Drop eye- Don't believe anything you read about drop eye. I have read so many storied of why Arowana have developed it it isn't funny. Ive heard the old too many bottom dwellers forcing it to be nervous and look down too often. I've heard the fatty foods one. Bare bottom again forcing it to look at itself. Feeding sinking foods. I have had silvers, asians and the good ol' toga. The only one that developed 'drop eye' was one of the silvers, in one eye. I have no idea why this is the case, but it did.

My theory is that inbreeding and other genetic factors come into play, but as i said im yet to come to a conclusion, just enjoy your fish and don't stress too much about whether it gets drop eye or not. Im yet to see a saratoga get it. Its mainly in asians and silvers.

PS- Ive alos heard and tried alll sorts of 'cures' for drop eye. From some peoples miracle cure SALT to the floating orange ping pong ball, ive even seen operation performed on them.

My 2 cents worth.

Archived