centrals and south americans

yellow

You may think I'm a nutter but I have a real mixture that so far seems to work exceptionally well. However I know down the track some fish will need to be rehoused. At the moment Im just seeing how they go.

Here it is:

2 Festae

2 GT's

2 Taxans

6 Devils

2 JD's

A breeding pair of Cons

3 Red Bellied Pacu (not the really big ones)

And I'm going to be crucified for this...

1 Flowerhorn (adopted) and

1 Pleco

All are small to medium in size at this stage with GT's, Devils and Pacu's the largest of them at about 5-6 inches.

It is a really exciting tank to watch and there is SO FAR no hint of aggression.

BTW its a 6x2 tank running an Eheim 2260 plus a Rio internal pushing about another 3000L/P/H with 2 large cylindrical filters attached.

I have a pair of white saum GT's. And a convict... somewhere blush.gif

user posted image

user posted image

Also Scaley

3 Red Bellied Pacu (not the really big ones)

What exactly does that mean? Is there a different species sharing the trade name RBP? Or do you mean they just haven't grown up yet?

Well, it is either the parents, the one peppermint bristlenose or the three angels.

Once we had a batch of 30 disappear overnight and the only fish I could have thought would have had such a large appetite would have been the father. But I guess it is probably the angels that are doing it, although they are always getting hammered by the terrors even when they look at the babies.

theres people selling metynnis species at present(including an lfs prominant on this forum) as red bellied pacus, this is misleading and imo bordering on fraudulent they are in fact a spotted silver dollar which with good husbandry will reach the staggering size of 15cm, i dont know if this farce is the lfs or the wholsaler as ive seen these fish in at least 4 lfs marked the same ohmy.gif

I think I even know which wholesaler they are coming from, I saw some (I think theyre the same ones) For $16.90 in a well known LFS over here not long ago. Back on topic I only have a single convict atm but When I finally get a big tank it will have some CA's. smile.gif

-Sutto

Ducksta, I think reddevilman has hit the nail on the head.

They were sold to me as Red Bellied Pacu.

I took them home in good faith and then read up on them.

The literature on RBP's tells that they grow to a massive 80 cm or there abouts.

I then proceeded to go back to the LFS to explain this to him. He then told me that they arent the same type and that they are really called something else which sounded like the "metynnis" reddevilman mentioned previously. He also said the wholesalers are selling under the name of RBP. I have since seen them sold at several other outlets under differing names.

Cheers.

One female Red Devil 9 inches and a pair of cons that must be stunted (poor things) but they have breed some great fry about 10 times. Im currently growing some up for a change and about 70% of them are white!!! Perfect white, no marks or flaws!! So im going to keep a few bigger ones and see what i can breed from them.

I have 5 of these from 5 yr old to 9 yr old.

Metynnis maculatus, the Spotted Metynnis. South America; the Guapore Area. They grow to about seven inches in length. They like water parameters of pH 6-7.2, dH to 10, temp. 20-28 C. Another common "Silver Dollar" in the aquarium trade. Related to Piranha and Pacu but derfinately their own species.

I also have a pair of Heros temporalis that have just put down their first batch of eggs but they were not successful this time. They have only been together for about a month and the male is 30cm and the female about 24cm.

I also have some Bolivian butterflies. 7 in total.

I have 1 pair out of them but I need to seperate them from the others as they cannot defend the eggs.

By the way Lv426 that Fossochromis rostratus is a Maawi cichlid. I have one of them as well. Beautiful fish.

Americans are great but I love my Africans too.

2 x RD

1 x Jag

1 x Texas

1 x JD

1 x Salvini

1 x synspilum

2 x Black belt

2 x Sev (one of each colour)

1 x blue acara

2 breeding pairs of cons & probably 20 of their offspring ranging from 2-5cm

Oh I have those "Red bellied Pacu" too, though I knew they were the spotted dollars before I got them. Every LFS up here has them labeled ad RBP except one. rolleyes.gif

I have two gibbiceps as well

its like selling bristlenose as plecos really, imagine what would happen if someone started selling kias with a bmw badge on , this makes me angry, a silver dollar is worth between $15-20 as a juvenile and approxamately nothing when full grown, a red bellied pacu on the other hand is an awesome tankbuster,worth a considerable amount of money, and moreover a rbp is always an rbp NEVER a mettynis, someone should sort these b#@%^&s out,i have no doubt that many of these common fish (albeit pleasant) have been sold to unsuspecting people who by now should be wondering why it isnt now at least 15cm long. at all the lfs where i saw these fish not one of them had the correct name in brackets , i suspect the reasoning behind this scam is that basically silver dollars are hard to move due to their fondness for aquarium plants, so a quick name change was in order. in closing i would urge people who have bought this fish as something it isnt to take it back to the lfs where they bought it and confront them with the unpleasant truth about what theve been sold, id take even money that the lfs has been duped as well, a few hudred of these fish going back to the wholesaler would teach him a lesson, no wonder so many people leave the hobby!

Archived