Motoro Ray

illusn8

Looks like an expensive setup illusion8 clap.gif I also use mini reef filtration on my 4x2x2. However I noticed a few differences between my setup and yours. I used to have the water level in the sump high. I dont anymore because I now know that the nitrification process is aerobic (needs oxygen). There is more oxygen in air than in water. I thus dropped the water level to below the bio balls. This is faciliated by an elbow which I have attached to the submersible pump. I have found that by arranging the filter media in my sump from course to fine I get better filtration. I have course open pore course sponge at the top, then pond filter sponge (from Clark rubber) in the middle and finally a layer of filter wool.Then the bio balls at the bottom. Until recenltly I too had my filter wool come into contact with the water first. Now I know why it got so dirty so quickly. You cant wash filter wool like you can a sponge..

But...if your setup works for you and your happy with it then thats great, I just thought you might like another opinion (I know I would).

Cheers thumb.gif

Lv426,

the water level in the sump is not usually that high, I took the photos after I added some water. My water level at usual only covering half way of the bio balls.....well i'm moving my whole set up to another location in a few more weeks. I'll probably re-arrange my mini reef media your way and see how it goes....... thanks for your advice Lv426 thumb.gifthumb.gif

Archived