dying yabbies

thermofish

maybe this post should go in 'technical' ...anyway

Over the last week ive have a few of my yabbies die.

I had about 10 yabbies (about 5-6cm) in a 2 foot tank with wood & rock to hide among. 3 of them have just curled over and died so far with no sign of injury.

pH is 7.5

no nitrite or ammonia.

about 6 hours of light a day.

water temp bounces from 20-23degrees

im trying to get them to breed for food for my americans but things are not looking good.

what am i doing wrong??

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

cheers.

The yabbies are small the tank wider then normal and they have plenty of territory to call there own, still it is a bit cramped but i dont think it would make the odd yabbie just drop dead.

They have no sign of being in a fight and i have never seen any of them fight, they have claws intack other then the ones i got already without claws.

I havent spotted the tank get above 23degrees.

So its a bit of a mystery.

Well my bets are either low DO, but you would normally see the other crayfish acting up if this was the problem. Or moult death syndrome. A percentage of all crustaceans fail to survive the process of moulting, its the reason that they don't rule the world. Did they have to shells? or part of the shell lifting up? The final one is usually the most common in home fish tanks and that is someone either used insecticide near the tank or didn't wash off some that they applied to keep the mozzies off. Normally you'd get a total kill, but sometimes you will kill just a few.

Adam

Filtration is cool, air is going in, it must be some kind of disease but god knows.

I'll see if i get anymore deaths over the next week and try to look out for signs of disease. If they keep dropping i might have to disinfect my tank or something.

I chucked some frozen tank water in to try and drop the water temp even lower as well. They look active and healthy.

anyway, i'll keep a close look and update with any news.

cheers.

You sure they were dead animals Thermo and not casts. C destructor can be propper buggers for eating thier mates when they cast thier shells and are still soft.

Easy way to tell is if the "body" has eyes. If the eye sockets are empty then it is a cast shell and the old owner may have been invited to dinner.

Alan

Even though they are only 5-6cm the three that died may not have been able to set up there own territory..

As you say you have fed off a trouble maker so its possible due to his/her harrasement they couldnt cope with it..

I dont think it would be malt syndrome as its unusual to have 2 die from around the same time.. I think it was more stress related... I have seen yabbies knock em self out and drown trying to keep away from the bully.. :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

Best thing to breed yabbies in... is in a old Bath Tub in the backyard... Never done it but my friend has a bathtub he found up bush in his backyard filled with about 70yabbies he also caught from up the bush.... I dunno how it's going so far ... but you'd never catch me picking up one of those suckers... nasty buM claws.. tongue.gif scary.. anyhows. Just thought i'd say it.

• 2 years later...

hi guys

just a quick note. 23 degrees is perfect just about sounds like you might need a bit more room and i would have another tank ready to put the mum into on her own then once the babies drop off get her out and fed them baby lquid food (fish) and then the next best thing as this works for bredding them and raising them

get a tin of bake beans and rinse the sauce off and just put in some beans, when i use to breed them in a 4foot tank 5 pairs and ab0out a tin of bake beans a week never had a drama but i always took the female out

hope it helps

marc

15'C and up apparently

You definetly have males and females? do you know how to sex them?

Holding female yabbies are very sensitive, if she doesn't like being disturbed the eggs will just not hatch, or she will drop them.

out of interest, did you know there are hundreds maybe even thousands of different types of yabbies?

heres a good article.

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/DPI/nreninf.nsf/...CE00190D8A?open

Archived