Oddballs!

Luke Austin

I think the post was about Oddballs.... No about 'opinions' of what constitutes an oddball someone thinks is worth keeping.

Here's one I like...Pantodon buchholzi (African butterfly fish)

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gpantodon.html

... Odd enough?

No one mentioned the Australian Lung Fish (Neoceratodus forsteri).... That certainly classifies as an oddball fish. Which brings me to, Lungfish season coming up soon!!! Microchipped Lungys will be out and about soon. wink.gif

gee who would have known that such a simple question would end up with so many serious answers!

while it's great that everyone is able to say what they want on here, i dont think there's any need to be really offended by what others feel or think.... after all it's just an opinion and everyones entitled to their own... sometimes some of these opinions are best ignored!!!!

anyways, i think we're all on this forum for one reason and thats fish, how much they're worth doesnt matter, there is no reason why a $2 guppy cannot be as enjoyable as a $2000 arowana.... it's all in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I believe that as long as you enjoy your fish it shouldnt matter how much they cost, I would much rather a cheap fish that i loved and found interesting than an expensive fish that i only owned for bragging rights that didnt interest me..... Oscars are a perfect example of such fish.... cheap but awsome!

Back to the fish.... is it illegal to keep lungfish in Australia? If it is that sucks because they seem pretty common in the US, they seem to be available on request almost over there.... whats the deal?

thanks for your replies guys, it's great that we all love our fish....

Luke. wink.gif

They are not common in the US. They run for a minimum of $550US ea + shipping to your state. Hardly common.

Australian lungfish are legal to keep. My understanding is that you need a microchipped lungfish with a certificate from the 'farm', in QLD. I'm not sure if you need a certified one in other states, it is my understanding that you don't. But again I am not sure.

is it illegal to keep lungfish in Australia?

IMO it should be; at least based on your ability to house one long term. These fish grow BIG, and despite being eel like wont just roll into a ball all their lives like morays are expected to for the entirity of the lives spent in aquaria.

is it illegal to keep lungfish in Australia?

IMO it should be; at least based on your ability to house one long term. These fish grow BIG, and despite being eel like wont just roll into a ball all their lives like morays are expected to for the entirity of the lives spent in aquaria.

If someone has what it takes to care for a fish they should be allowed too. I'm sure people that are willing to spend $800+ on a fish will do a little research on the fish before purchasing it. wink.gif

Hey Luke Austin......while I have enjoyed reading conversation about this topic shouldn't we excercise some discretion. I mean anyone can read this! dry.gif

Good idea Lv426.

I think if you guys are going to discuss such issues, it should be done in the PM function.

Cheers, Alan.

Hey,Willy !! Sometimes it pays not to be so blunt!!!!!!!! But each to there own . how many kids started with the old guppy, where are they now.I gave my sons mate some fish for $1 ea {hongi , blue lab } just to help him start into our hobby.We need to think a bit outside the square.Have to laugh at the way we go on sometimes. Have a good day, John

Hey Luke Austin......while I have enjoyed reading conversation about this topic shouldn't we excercise some discretion. I mean anyone can read this!   dry.gif

Good idea Lv426.

I think if you guys are going to discuss such issues, it should be done in the PM function.

Cheers, Alan.

Why?

Due to the way the PM system is setup it's far too difficult to discuss an issue like this with multiple members, it's simply a waste of time.

I also don't see the difference between discussing keeping lungfish (legally, due to nobody stating they were going to attempt to catch a wild one) and discussing the keeping of guppy's. I don't think it is the best idea having a moderator suggesting that people do not openly ask questions about keeping a fish that they may want to keep in the future. How else will they learn? Would you rather them PM random people asking about lungfish till they strike gold?

Just my 2 cents worth. I don't mean to attack YOU. But I do not see the harm in what has been said. dry.gif

just my 2 bobs worth , ive had 2 saratogas, 1 died on the floor , imo these fish seem to be stressed,they certainly gave me stress and shouldnt be kept in anything less than a 10x2.5x2.5 , my devils on the other hand which cost me the grand sum of $5 each(buy 5 and get 1 free)ive raised to adult, i now have a breeding pair(sorry thats a different post) which give me far more pleasure than the saras did, and even have the brains to greet me when i get home! but then cos their cheap i dont suppose their worth looking at sadsmiley02.gif

I made a mistake as i thought the keeping of the fish was illegal....everyone stuffs up now and then blush.gif . I will leave my comments there as i find no use in hiding my mistake.

Cheers, Alan.

Guy's

Please feel free to discus any topic you choose.

Just be aware that should any authority approach me as the Public Officer of ACE Inc, I will be more than helpful to retrieve and provide any and all posts including IP addresses on any subject on the forum.

I will not allow the forums be harmed by the ignorance of forum members to the laws in Australia, so if you want to get on line and state that you or a friend has imported an illegal species into the country, then good luck to you.

As far as I'm aware, the only 2 'noxious' species in NSW that have been mentioned are Snakeheads and pike cichlids..... these will cop you an on the spot fine (Big hefty fine as well!)

These however have been quite blatantly advertised.... and blatantly advertised by a sponsor of the forum. blush.gifzipit.gif (shakes head)

All the rest discussed MAY be illegal imports or bred from fish that came into the country prior to the laws coming into place.....ie some are actually bred in Australia. thumb.gif

This then makes them JUST like the bristlenose catfish (illegal to import), electric yellow cichlid (another illegal to import!) or frontosa (also 'illegal').

So which is which? wink.gif

Guy's

Please feel free to discus any topic you choose.

Just be aware that should any authority approach me as the Public Officer of ACE Inc, I will be more than helpful to retrieve and provide any and all posts including IP addresses on any subject on the forum.

I will not allow the forums be harmed by the ignorance of forum members to the laws in Australia, so if you want to get on line and state that you or a friend has imported an illegal species into the country, then good luck to you.

Feel free to mate. It makes no difference. If you are stupid enough to say you have noxious fish over the internet, then chances are you will get caught. I don't really see anybody saying that they smuggle fish into the county (in this thread). So I don't see what the hoo ha is all about.

Im with Kevin. Aros etc etc are no more illegal than the bristlenose I bet you keep.

Happy fish keeping, mate. wink.gif

Ok I'll try again this time....trying not to 'offend'. Even though ignorance and stupidity should be 'edited' in here wink.gif

I simply meant asking and telling about the availability of illegal but more so noxious speciesie, snakehead,pike cichlid openly in this forum is stupid and irresponsible. I called for discretion and people to use their PM for a specific question.

Unfortunatlely I responded to Willy in the way he deserved, but I guess I should have ignored him (as should have the rest of you). But he made me so mad you know. tongue.gif

I fall to the feet of the Gods of this forum....."pardon me oh mighty one' blush.gif

Happy fish keeping to all too smile.gif

A post seems to have disappeared where I clapped teamsherman for allowing his error to remain public... I don't know why? Although I can't remember what the rest of the post said, maybe I said something naughty *SLAPS myself*. So I will reiterate that IMO it is great to see a mod who is happy to eat humble pie clap.gif I respect that immensely thumb.gif Good job! 3 cheers for the new guy woot.gif

ok guys im back, I would firstly like to apologize for my opinion, this might give a lot of u guys peace.

i have realised that a lot of people on this forum are too easily offended. i dont understand why, but if u like keeping cheap fishes then so be it. meaning each to their own

so i'll from now on word my posts better just for the sakes of not offending the easily offended. laugh.gif

yeah yeah che che livn large

Archived