Oddballs!

Luke Austin

Hey Luke,

I am such a sucker for oddballs mate tongue.gif , there has been quite a variety of oddballs around lately, the question is, how much are you prepared to pay?. Prices of these fish now, compared to say 2 years ago has really been inflated, so be prepared to spend if you want anything odd now.. From what i have learnt mate, if you have the money to get something that you want, do it, because the chances are that you might not see it again for a long time...

From what i know, and have heard, these are just some off the oddballs that are around, have been and gone, or might be popping up...

-Silver Arowana

-Green Arowana

-Motoro Freshwater Rays

-Senegal Bichir

-Ornate Bichir

-Albino Bichir

-Albino, Pink and Grey Giant Gourami

-Blue Sharks

-Siamese Tigers

-Hujeta/Slant Nose Gars

-Giant Snakeheads

-Cichla Monoculus

-Tinfoil Barbs

-Zamora Cats

-Quite a few L number Plecos

-Pike Cichlid

-Pink Tailed Chalceus

-Gold Tinfoil Barbs

I have also heard that towards the end of the year, some red tailed cats might become available....

There are probably more, but again,if you see anything that you want and you have the money, get it cause it might be a while till you see one again.

Hope this helps mate

Regards

Arrafanatic

geez how come when someone just mentions a really cool fish that another will say not good to mention on forum

WHO CARES

i say the only fun thing to keep in aquarium fish is illegal and expensive fish. cheap fishes not worth looking at, waste of time and effort (just my opinion of course)

Also in the mix that I've seen very recently......

Sorubim lima. Lima shovelnose (been ages since I've seen a small one of these fellas)

Spotted gar pike

RTC aplenty atm. dry.gif (No need to wait till later in the year!).

..... oh and since tinfoils were mentioned as "oddball", why not the Cigar shark then? There's quite a few around at decent prices.

geez i had no idea there was that much around! I've decided to try a good old aussie native, some sleepy cod.

I decided on this mainly due to the price of anything cool and exotic but also because i've felt guilty for ignoring all the cool natives out there. I need heaps more tanks with nothing smaller than 6x2x2! I reckon a nice recirculation system of about five 3000 litre ponds would be good!

thanks guys, Luke. tongue.gif

geez how come when someone just mentions a really cool fish that another will say not good to mention on forum

WHO CARES

i say the only fun thing to keep in aquarium fish is illegal and expensive fish. cheap fishes not worth looking at, waste of time and effort  (just my opinion of course)

Who cares? I'm sure you would care if you were caught with noxious fish and a huge fine slapped on you aswell as the fish being destroyed. I am trying to educate, not put people down.

The only fish worth looking at are expensive ones? That is a pretty lame outlook on the hobby. I get just as much enjoyment out of my dovii that cost me $3.50 as I do my Asian arowanas. wub.gif I am confused by your post, why does a fish's price tag make it more 'fun'? seems kind of silly. thumb.gif

I still think it's a bit 'silly', sounds like he doesn't have a true appreciation for the hobby. You will find in some peoples exotic collections, that their favourite fish are often the ones that didn't cost them the most, but rather the ones that hold the most sentimental value. Saying that cheaper fish are not worth lookig at is kind of weak.

i say the only fun thing to keep in aquarium fish is illegal and expensive fish. cheap fishes not worth looking at, waste of time and effort (just my opinion of course)
That has got to be the most misguided ludicrous comment I have ever heard clap.gif A round of applause for the best laugh I've had in days. You are obviously demented or something. Does this mean if you lived in SE Asia where all these oddballs are worth about as much as a bowl of steamed rice that the aquarium hobby would be pointless? Get a life - what you say has absolutely no bearings in reality zipit.gif Thats all I will say.

blink.gifmad.gif

I'm bloody offended by that statement if it's intention was to come across the way it sounds. Maybe alot of people in the fishkeeping hobby should just flush their fish down the toilets as they aren't as rich as you.

Some people actually do care about the fish they keep mate and not the pricetag attached to them. That statement indicates plain ignorance or just plain snobbiness.

Cheers

Paul

I shall also join in on the castigation of willy. Perhaps if it were worded differently like "I have no idea what i am talking about dont listen to me" I would understand.

These kinds of attitudes are really not healthy for any hobby or any way you look at life. Somthings true potential or value does not lie in its price tag. People like you are the ones that get laughed at when they buy an alpaca for $250 000 which then goes down in price to a couple of hundred.

How can you only like something for its price tag? It must be a good ego trip knowing you have such valuable fish.

I really found that vile and offensive. MOO (My own opinion)

Throwing around statements like you did will tend you offend some people, and make them state their own opinions. Enjoy the hobby and remember not all of us can afford 20 Red arowana like yourself. wub.gif

matey, thats one heck of a stupid opinion!

just because the fish dont cost alot doesent mean they are worthless, there are Tons of people who keep cheaper priced fish.

Just because it is cheap doesent mean its not worth keeping, alot of them look even better then expensive fish.

Its just so stupid... what is wrong with the cheap fish?? Do you look at the price tag and get the fish because its expensive, woudint you rather get a fish that looks good even though its cheap.

Not worth looking at???? another Stupid Dumb opionion, what the heck, how could you say not worth looking at?? there is freaken thousands of fish that are cheap adn look good, you cant say all the cheap fish dont look good rolleyes.gif

Rofl Waste of time, why is it a waste of time/ what difference does it make if ya got a expensive fish if its expensive and looks crap then you think its a waste of time, but some cheap fish you can look at for long ime even though they are cheap, expensive or cheap, one way or another you look at it, finished, anything good happen to ya when you looked at the expensive fish?

Lol

Yea Alex was too busy buying zebra plecos, silver aro's, and a dovii (bargain at $3.50 too) to get to all the super red's

Mate, here you were with an opportunity to give your opinion some kudos by substantiating it with some kind of reasoning, and you post "calm down relax" I have a collection which IMO is quite valuable, and yet I get as much satisfaction from the fish which retail at a few dollars as I do from the ones of which I am the only owner in this country. Sure they still don't compare in price to Asian Arowana, but pricetag has little bearing on the effect the fish have on me and others who choose to lose themselves in my tanks.

Im not saying i agree with Willy, but he is entitled to his opinion.

It is also very hard to determine "tone" from words, it would be better to say

"i tend to disagree with u on that one willy, ................(insert explanation)"

Im sure we all have fish we dont like, i know i do.

KB

Archived