Green Arowana

henryliu

the green arrowana is listed on CITES therefore it is illegal to import.(according aus law) however

a fish that is illegal to import does not mean it is illegal to keep.

e.g frontosa ,

since the green arrowana is not classfied as a noxious species i.e a pest ,

then he won't had problem with the fisheries department.

BTW Henry, where did you got the fish, i been looking for one. can you email me the details

cyberfone@yahoo.com

the green arrowana is listed on CITES therefore it is illegal to import.(according aus law)  however

a fish that is illegal to import does not mean it is illegal to keep.

e.g frontosa ,

since the green arrowana is not classfied as a noxious species i.e a pest ,

then he won't had problem with the fisheries department.

The point is, the certificate states that the fish was captive bred in Malaysia....

How could it have got here legally ?

Andy

well either way the arowana is illegal to import, and im sure there are ways ppl get it here which won't matter to us...though its here and no one would care about the cert or the fish as it wont mean nothing much here............

Though maybe you can get and arowana here with certificate.........

this is the allowable import list

list

so most of the fish on this forum (and half the people here know some of their fishes) is illegally imported or born from illegally imported fishes.

my point is that, i don't think the fisheries would go out and confiscate half the fish that is constantly trade on this fourm. it is the noxious fish that mainly concerned them.

Guest african-au

we all want what we cant have,thats what makes it interesting isnt it?

its all in good fun & i asure you most exotic fish lovers spend hours per days admiring exotic fish,,

i know i do clap.gif

empire is right there are quite a few illegal species that are being sold in lfs

but nobody seems to mind,but when arowana is mentioned everybody seems to jump!!!!!!!!

andy all asian arowanas are smuggled into the country,none are legal!

you are right!

the certificate doesnt mean much in australia to most!

but then again when

henry is ready to sell his beautiful green arowana,he will fetch top dollar with his certificate!

arowanas are an aquired taste---------i would say-------------an exotic taste clap.gif

enjoy your exotic green arowana henry!!!

beauty mate! thumb.gif

We all want what we cant have,thats what makes it interesting isnt it?

I wasn't having a go at anybody, if that's what anybody thought wink.gif

I was just trying to make it clearer for people.

its all in good fun

(Now i am having a go at someone)

All in good fun ? ALL IN GOOD FUN ? yeah... exotic species are fun, until they escape and take over........

• Cane Toads

• Red-eared Sliders

• Sparrows

• Indian Mynas

• Carp

• Rabbits

• Foxes

• Cats

• Camels

• Water Buffalo

Australia has a shocking history when it comes to introduced species, due in part to lax attitudes of animal owners, and smugglers.

but then again when henry is ready to sell his beautiful green arowana,he will fetch top dollar with his certificate!

Well now, that just proves how completely and totally idiotically ignorant and stupid some smugglers are, doesnt it ?

They illegally import a fish, then supply it with a certificate saying it's bred in Malaysia.

And why can they do this ? because PEOPLE DON'T CARE !!

Those people who don't care should get out of their ignorant rut and have a close look at our beautiful native fauna and flora and ask themselves if it's worth risking the extinction of those species.

But then again, they probably wouldn't CARE because they can have x-fish, smuggled from x-place, and can you imagine how much money they'd make if they bred them and sold them ?

so most of the fish on this forum (and half the people here know some of their fishes) is illegally imported or born from illegally imported fishes.

Who says that is so ? Just because a species isn't on the allowed import list doesn't mean it, or it's ancestors were imported illegally.

Remember that people did keep legally imported fish before the ban on importing !

*Spits on the pavement at the feet of the ignorant, selfish masses and steps off his soap box*

Andy.

Guest african-au

point taken & you are correct andy no ones having a go,,its a forum cool.gif

though there have been some exotics bought to the country legaly as well,

to control insects,plants,rivers, etc etc & have been disasterous!!

there is good and bad in all-------

maybe they should allow some exotics with mic chips,,as the rspca has done with animals!

just a thought clap.gif

maybe that would stop smuggling

cheers

chris!!! thumb.gif

hey Andy , i understand your point and your point is taken.

species that become a pest in this country are usually (not alway) those that are list on the noxious list. and it is this list what really concern people. imagine pirhana

getting into our water

even common species that hobbist regularly keep e.g electric blue / yellow,

can becaome a pest if ever introduce to the aus river.

i know of some river in aus where this is a problem. it is the responsibility of us not to make this happen.

Hi,

???????? Aquarium got the Yellow tail Arowana at show room.

does it also lawfully?

All Asia Arowana including Red aro, golden aro and green aro are under the CITES

however, some Aquariums still keep the Asia arowana in their shop, like the ??? hill aquarium and ?????? Aquariums. they got Green Arowana, and some Tankbuster fish in the display tank.

also ???????? Aqariums got some Red arowana in the shop,too.

thanks

Henry

Posting the names of shops publicly that sell C.I.T.E.S protected fish can lead to that shop having a visit from the powers to be. If they prove that there are no fish in the store at the time could lead to prosecution of the person posting the information. That being the case this post above is in breach of rule 7 and as a result has been edited.

7. Refrain for naming businesses or products for negative feedback. Recent evidence suggests that this is a potentially libelous action and should be avoided at all costs. If you do have such a problem then the first thing you should do is attempt to resolve the matter with the lfs in question. If still unsatisfied with the outcome, you have a number of options available to you, such as contacting the RSPCA for animal abuse concerns, the Department of Fair Trading for issues such as the honoring of warranties, poor quality equipment etc, and even the police for matters such as verbal or physical abuse that may occur within LFS.

Legally shops or others cannot keep or sell CITES protected fish under the new act unless they were bred from legally imported fish from many moons ago.

ACE Forums are not an enforcement group, we are not in a position to determine the legality or illegality of the actions of others.

hi

just wondering whats the availability of asian arowanas in sydney atm? im willing 2 travel up there if there are any babies 4 sale. Also at what price.. i know its going 2 be quite expensive... i got my green aro for $500 2 yrs ago so im assuming it will be more then that now.

cheers

calvin

Hey Calvin,

Geeze mate, you got a bargain if you only paid $500 for a green arowana. I paid $500 for a 3 inch silver the other day, and i considered that to be cheap keeping in mind that silvers have been selling for $600 + in aquariums at the moment.

I have seen a few other colour strains of asian aro's around, but they have been in excess of $4,000. I would think a small green now would go for anything between $1,000 - 1,500.

Anyways, i my opinion, you were very lucky to find one at that price

Thanks mate

Arrafanatic

On the other hand the idiots in the government are no less guilty than anyone else when it comes to introducing fauna. One of the most damaging animals introduced was the cane toad. It was not kept by an amateur and released. It was released by the government.

Introduced species

The only solution to this is education, not more laws. Laws are a tool to control simpletons. Laws don't really work in the long term. I don’t' necessarily agree with them but people will import illegal animals. It just takes one or two released into a viable environment and the laws are rendered stupid, for example, it's still illegal to keep rabbits in many states.

If people are educated and the price is high enough then only people who have a keep interest to keep them there is no way anyone in their right mind would release non natve animals into the wild. There may still be people who don't take this into account and do it anyway but in my mind there are less of them than people who will import an exotic species that is dangerous to the local environment to make a buck. Making a buck does not lead to a concience as much as spending a buck and learning about an extotic creature.

If people are educated and the price is high enough then only people who have a keep interest to keep them there is no way anyone in their right mind would release non natve animals into the wild

You are basically right when it comes to the more expensive or rare fish etc

and yes the Govt has made mistakes along the way over the years with releases.

The problem is now, what is the govt going to do with the new laws is what we have to worry about.

The smuggling and the 15 new species of fish or rivers affected each year by Hobbiest releasing unwanted fish is not helping our cause towards the new act.

We also know that a lot of these fish get into the wild from farm dams or aquaculture farms that ere built too close and over flow into the water ways

Either way its the hobbiest that will lose.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived