Substrate: Cleaning (001)

I just recently got a new tank and placed 2" or so of sand in the bottom as substrate. Now I DID wash it several times before I put it in the tank, but the tank is still yellow-y and murky. Im not sure whether this is because there is sediment in the water which needs to settle, or perhaps the water is just plain old dirty. My question is, am I better off leaving it to settle? In which case how long will it take to settle and what if the water IS dirty, I wouldve wasted all this potential cycling time blink.gif Alternatively, do I just change the water a lot to try and get it clean? I wasnt sure if thats such a good idea because every time I do it more sand gets stirred up. Im very confused as Ive never used sand before, Ive only ever used gravel. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated smile.gif

Blakey

When I first used sand it did the same thing washed and washed until I am sure that caused water restrictions in Canberra laugh.gif. But it still went murky when I first ran up the tank. Depending on your filtration system I reckon it will clear up in a week or so, mine did.

BTW I had a fluval 304 running on a standard 4' tank

HTH

Rosco

I had the same problem for a week or so and a mate of mine who has just changed to sand is having the same problem give it a few weeks.

Josh

Hmmm I can see your point. I emptied most of the water out, thinking that it would take less time for the sediment in a small amount of water to settle than the sediment in a large amount of water, however now I am in the dilemma that Im thinking as soon as it settles and I fill the tank, it will just kick up more sediment. Soooo ... do I wait for it to settle before filling it up, and hope that the initial cloudy-ness is over, or do I just fill it up now and deal with the cloudyness that ensues?

can't you just put a plate down on the bottom & fill into an ice cream container ontop of the plate so it slowly trickles into the tank thereby causing less turbulance in the water to stir stuff up?

Archived