Substrate: Sand (013)

mjc

I recently changed over to pool filter sand in all my cichlid tanks & I am wrapped with the stuff. Re the filters, yeah it can stuff the impeller but the way around it is to set the intake a good 6" off the bottom & if you've got bigger fish in there maybe be doubley protected with an intake sponge. I found out the hard way with multifasciatus that even the sponge is not foolproof though if the fish takes all the sand in the tank & puts it in one corner burying said intake sponge. So I only have the sand an inch or so deep now. But other than that incident I have had nothing but great experience with pfs. & at $6 for 25kg it's priced right too! I have sprinkled some crushed coral over mine for decoration & buffering. Any kind of fine sand is good for eartheaters I've heard, as they flush their gills with the sand to clear parasites. I mostly have small Tangs so I've not seen them do that myself. Anyway hth! thumb.gif

Sand is fine - though dont make the layer too deep. As mentioned above sand and filter impellers can be an issue. I use in in quite a few of my tanks and I think it looks good and doesnt cause me any troubles.

Some good alternatives if you keep rift lake cichlids:

Shell grit.

Crushed limestone or crushed marble.

HTH -

Archived