catching feeder fish

junek

hi all.

im interested to hear any suggestions on how to go about catching some small freshwater feeder fish. Like mosquito fish or prawns or similar.

Is there any form of net or trap i can get? and what areas are a good source.?

I live in northern sydney, not a hole lot of fresh water around here! I was thinking manly dam or the back ends of narrabeen lake.

Any suggestions or information will be a help

thanks

jamie

you can buy little bait traps from tackle shops that work well , or make one by making a mini fish tank out of perspex with a fixed lid with a 5cm diameter hole in it clamp a slice of bread over the hole with a piece of perspex with a 5cm hole in it(so the 2 holes line up)make a small hole in the bread and put the whole lot in the water--- these work really well

good hunting

Those little mesh bait traps certainly work well.

A method i found useful is at night with a net.

Use a torch to see where you're going, but try scooping with the net without first shining the torch on the water.

Those little round nets at tackle shops work ok, but if you can get them, there's a net made from the same frame as a landing net, but with a very fine mesh netting, and these really are the goods for catching interesting little things.

Boat ramps are often good for feeders, as there's no obstructions to a good quick net stroke.

For best results with shrimp, drag the net quickly through weedbeds, usually Elodia.

Don't be surprised if you catch little Bass, Eels, and stuff like that, but remember that most of those have a legal size.

Also make sure you check the legality of using a bait net or traps in the water you're planning on using.

And beware of Bullrouts !!!! (Link)

Cheers, and Happy Hunting,

Andy.

That was an awesome link Dark Morelia!!!!

Got anymore on native fish?

Oh, and as for feeders. Around now there shoulod be umpteen hundred little gudgeons swimming about all over the hunter valley and into the illawarra basin, and with the onset of the storm season we should get excellent flushes through the rivers.

I use a concetina mesh trap (about $9 from K-mart) it squishes down into a flat pack and is easy to use/transport.

I also have made a Japanese scissor net.

-Get 2 tomato stakes (about 1000mm -1200mm long) drill a hole in each about 50cm from the top and join them with a stainless bolt so you have got a big pair of tomato stake scissors.

- Then either buy a seine net from a fishing tackle shop, or a few meters of fine mesh, similar to that in mosquito nets, and make a net that will fit between the two arms, secure, and your done.

The Japanese scissor net is best used by walking through shallow water with th e net held in front of you by th etwo short handles, it can be closed by pushing the handles together, this is good for avoiding obstacles.

When you walk it around for a few minutes, close it up and pull out of the water and collect your bounty!!

Good luck, hope this gives you some options.

Slightly off topic,--->(my comment i mean) but yeah, Awesome link Dark, thanks for that, what a great read!!

That was an awesome link Dark Morelia!!!!

Got anymore on native fish?

No probs guys smile.gif

Would you believe i hadn't really read it through until now ?

I found it on a search engine and just made sure it had the appropriate info on their venom, LOL.

Native fish... hmm... I don't have much, as it's been a long while since i had natives.

Try this though, dunno if it's any good to ya.

Native Fish Australia - Fish Files

And this... it wasn't working for me, so it might not exist any more, but give it a try anyway.

Australia and New Guinea Freshwater Fishes Index

Dunno if you like Rainbowfish, but they're Native tongue.gif

Home of the Rainbowfish

Bullrouts are dangerous but they do make interesting aquarium subjects.

I had one about 15cm that got real tame and came to the top of the tank for food.

I've never been spiked, but my Brother's told me in detail about the time he stepped on one laugh.gif

I've caught heaps of the buggers in the Hawkesbury, from 2cm up to a 25-30cm beast ! (that put several holes in my net dry.gifmad.gif )

Cheers,

Andy

(PS... sorry for hijacking your post Jamie unsure.gif )

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I find the best way to catch feeders is with a potty mullet trap or a large fine mesh net , i just put the net in and scopp around as close to rocks and snags as possible its amazing what you can catch sometimes

i mainly get butter prawns and small potty mullet.

i am currently settin up a little 2ft tank to keep them in until feeding time

get a big coke bottle, cut the top off about 5cm down and invert it. silicone or hot glue will keep it in place, poke some bread inside and sink it in the shallows on a piece of string. sit back, have a sandwich then pull it in..... no need to get your feet wet.

good luck with your jack

you could always keep them in a seperate tank for quarantine, however, if your mangrove jack was wild caught as a juvenile, chances are it's imune system is pretty good and is already equipped to handle microbes from the wild. If your feeders look visably sick, don't put them in, if not, they will soon be in a pit of stomach acid anyway :)

Archived