arowana drop eye

Willy

hey guys,

i think my aro is begining to get drop eye on left side, its not that bad at the moment

i dont feed it anything fatty, just prawns with shell and bloodworm, pallet

its about 30cm

has anyone kept one of these in a tank and grew it up without it getting drop eye?

Is this even possible?

what tricks can i use?

IMHO they are all old wives tales (tails? LOL.gif ).

I believe (and not through experience, only research) drop eye is most definately caused by improper diet or water conditions, much like HITH in large cichlids. I certainly dont believe it is the fish trying to look down at the bottom or any such thing. zipit.gif

Also, from my years on several forums dedicated to aggressive and predatory fish, it seems the condition is irreverseable in most cases. However on rare occasions people claim to have fixed it by improveing filtration, tank maintenance and diet. So my advice would be to keep the water pristine, crank up the filtration and only feed high quality foods which match an arowana's dietary needs thumb.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Guest african-au

i'm with alex

i beleive drop eye is genetic

as asian arow's & silver arows are farmed!

but just to be on the safe side my arowanas are fed

quality food

lean & mean

chris

Hey Willy,

I raised a small Silver Arowana from about 10cm to 45cm about 2 years ago without it developing drop eye. I strongly believe that drop eye is caused by incorrect feeding of fatty foods like feeder goldfish, as well as people keeping them in tanks with just a plain glass bottom. This makes the arowana see it's own reflection on the bottom of the tank, and because they do not like the comany of their own kind, it forces them to keep an eye on the 'other' arowana that they appear to see in the tank. To avoid this, just simply keep something on the bottom of the tank. ie. gravel. This will abolish the reflection and more importantly remove the need for the arowana to look down and focus on the bottom of the tank.

Thanks guys

Arrafanatic

The old no gravel myth is completly false. I raised all my Jardini/leichardti in bare bottom tanks, due to bare bottom tanks being far easier to clean and maintain, none developed dropeye. Why is this?

I have raised many silver arowana's, in tanks with a substrate and feeding only the best foods. Most developed drop eye. Why is this?

If I had the time or money this would be something that I would put some time into researching, but i don't.

The facts simply speak for themselves.

- Arowana species which are not heavily farm bred (leichardti, jardini, blacks) never devlope drop eye, or if they do they are in the 0.001% that do.

- Asians and silvers develope drop eye about 75-80% of the time in my experience, and by talking to other arowana keepers, especially ones from OS.

- None of the myths add up. Alot of arowanas in bare tanks dont develope drop eye. Alot of well cared for arowana's in tanks with substrate develope drop eye.

I could yabber on about this topic all day. But I think at the end of the day the facts speak for themselves. If you manage to get a silver over 16" without it developing drop eye in atleast one eye, consider yourself lucky.

john's developed a severe case of drop eye lol joking mate

i think its alright to put in 4/5 of them at the same size and time... with other fish

to make it more crowded... abit of tear here and there until they sort themselves out... the hard part is when they grow bigger...

I dont think saratogas get drop eye anyway, Ive had 7 all different sizes in bare tanks or graveled, I think silvers get it most maybe due to genetics...........

yea Ive had from 3-7 20cm saratoga L with one 60cm leicardi and other fish no problems just need to populate the tank.

Even huge arowana or saratoga Ive put little 6cm parrots in and nothing happens they attack by colour and if populated even better.

Archived