#31 Chuckmeister

Chuckmeister

Eartheater (Accomplished)

• Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 76
  • 437 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 01:58 AM

I had a pair of Kendalli 10 or 12 years ago. They were the 2 fish species that I really wanted from Tanganyika. the other being quality calvus. I set up a calvus tank with around 10 breeding adults...all was good. Put in my kendalli...all was good though they were pretty terriorial of their corner. Then I was given a pair of Chalinochromis popelini and this was where the war started. It was a short war and unfortunately the kendalli did not survive.

I still miss those fish :bye:

#32 goldenswimmers

goldenswimmers

Mbuna (Determined)

• Regular
  • Pip
    • Member ID: 24,686
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Living the dream..feeding the fish

Posted 11 May 2015 - 02:41 AM

I had a pair of Kendalli 10 or 12 years ago. They were the 2 fish species that I really wanted from Tanganyika. the other being quality calvus. I set up a calvus tank with around 10 breeding adults...all was good. Put in my kendalli...all was good though they were pretty terriorial of their corner. Then I was given a pair of Chalinochromis popelini and this was where the war started. It was a short war and unfortunately the kendalli did not survive.

I still miss those fish :bye:

wow.....seems very hard to believe that the C.Popelini took out the Kendali :blink were the Kendali adults?.....I think my adult Kendali's would make very short work of some Popelini.....might be different if the Kendali were young and were up against adult established pairs... :huh:..maybe they tried to take on both of the other types...bad move :unsure

Im finding them to be super aggressive :rant: and able to take on much larger(slightly confused :unsure fish!)

DSCN0971_zpsaofsjqwd.jpg

DSCN1021_zpsbhssuzb5.jpg

#33 Chuckmeister

Chuckmeister

Eartheater (Accomplished)

• Regular
  • PipPipPipPip
    • Member ID: 76
  • 437 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:26 AM

Both species were around the same size. The kendalli may have been about 1/3 bigger. kendalli were long term established but when I put in the popelini they were relentless. It was a continuous barrage that eventually killed of my pair. My tank at the time was extrememly rock heavy and was set up as my calvus (leptosoma, nigripinnis, nasuta etc) tank as I bought half a dozen different pair from around Aus so the kendalli unfortuately had to survive or perish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users