15 replies to this topic

#16 vadnappa

vadnappa

Shelldweller (Newbie)

• Regular
    • Member ID: 23,994
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

I keep L.elongatus. I used to have several pairs and spawned them regularly. I lost a lot of my fish in a heat wave a few years ago, including my adult elongatus. I had sold a few fry to a lfs, i think someone purchased them spawned them and sold them back to the lfs. I grabbed the last few they had left which i have grown up and hope to put together soon.
My biggest drama with breeding these guys was, after you get a pair to spawn and the fry have hatched, the female becomes very aggressive to the larger male. The male only takes the abuse for so long before turning on the female. I would always remove the parents to separate tanks after spawning and once the female had put condition on re-introduce them for the next spawn.
The only pair i didn't have to do this with was one which the female lost any eye while young. They would spawn and i would just remove the fry once they were free swimming. I always assumed it was because she couldnt see the male so didn't harass him.
These guys look nice, but when they have their dark breeding dress on with the green/white pearl scales shining down the sides, damn a very nice fish

Edited by vadnappa, 12 March 2013 - 02:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users