Colourfull Killifish

enigma

Serkan a.k.a KillieorCory (not the other Serkan) certainly has an impressive collection of killifish. He did a great presentation at a CDAS meeting last year. I was tempted to buy some.

He also has a great website dedicated to killifish.

Budi love the images, you do justice to these little known jewels.

Just a little info on these killies:

IPB Image

Chromaphyosemion splendopleure

West African plant spawner. Eggs are laid in mops and water incubated around 10-14 days depending on temperature. Sparodic spawner, relatively easy to breed.

IPB Image

Fundulopanchax scheeli

Another plant spawner from Africa; southeastern Nigeria to be exact. Spawns on bottom mops. Relatively easy species to keep and breed.

IPB Image

Fundulopanchax amieti

This species is found in Cameroon, Africa. Spawns on bottom mops, although it is also possible to spawn this species over peatmoss. Eggs take a little longer than splendopleure above to develop in water or 6 to 8 weeks of dry incubation over peat. Due to a little more handling is required than the above two species can be a little bit trickier to breed for some; though relatively speaking still straightforward to breed.

IPB Image

Pseudoepiplatys annulatus

Clown Killie or Rocket Killie is found in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia in Africa. It is a surface dwelling fish and prefers to spawn on floating mops. Eggs are tiny ~0.9mm, hence the resulting fry are tricky to raise. It is a relatively easy species to spawn but it is raising the fry that is the challenge.

IPB Image

Fundulopanchax gardneri AkureBlue

This population of gardneri is found; as the name suggests, in Akure, Nigeria. One of the easiest killifish to keep and breed. Eggs hatch in 10 to 14 days.

IPB Image

Epiplatys bifasciatus

This surface dwelling killifish is found from Senegal through to Sudan. It is another species that spawn on floating mops. Eggs hatch in about 10 days. Easy to keep, challenging to breed.

All the above species can be comfortably kept and bred at temperatures between 21 and 24 degrees Celcius. I am currently breeding all of the above with various degrees of success.

Thank you again to Budi for the excellent shots! :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to pull up an old post, but I'm looking for a particular species of killifish - Nothobranchius furzeri - because of its short lifespan. Has anyone seen/heard of this species in Australia or know of any other short lived killes (< 6 months)?

Cheers,

Alex

Budi,

I think we need to do another story on killies now that you have reminded me of how good these little fellas are! They are such colourful little fish and I kinda miss them already! :)

Alex G Cooney

Archived