Cichlids in their "natural" habitat....

ViS

Ok I was out in the Victorian boondocks over the past few weeks, and discovered I was only an hour from Hazelwood, so I borrowed a little rod and some little hooks and went for a play..... :lol3:

I'll do it in stages. Here is the pondage.....

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last two look like devils pre colour change, no solid idea on the bigger one but the finnage & body shape look acaraish

Now while I don't agree at all with the illegal release of cichlids in Australia, for obvious reasons, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to go there.

It's astounding how many there are there. They've taken hold well and truly. Even up the tributaries, well away from the station, they are EVERYWHERE.

Most if not all are probably hybrids, so only an idiot would try and sell anything they caught in there. It's a fun day out though :lol2:

Hi Andy...looks like fun. I saw the most beautiful convicts ever when I was there. The first ID looks like a Tilapia marie and the second could be A. longimanus (or cross with the red devils).

Andrea smile.gif

It'd be a nice way to fill a home pond or display only tank though - great colours!

edit: Actually Andy, you said catch & release - should you have technically culled anything you caught? We have to with Tilapia so I wouldn't think these guys would be any different dntknw.gif

Guest parallel

Why would anyone release them to the wild. confused.gif Just to show how stupid ppl can be. Stuff up the eco system.

Cheers

The RD has some awesome colour on it, bit like the ones I pulled from my pond. Quite amazed at the zebra colour a well.

I think the first id is more of an acara type fish (although I haven't seen any get that big) and the second a tilapia.

The second last picture in the first post is amazing. Who says American's are NOT social fishes? tongue.gif

ps. I have to agree with Ash, you should have destroyed your catch IMO. It is illegal to release feral species after capture, mind you trout still have a minimum size limit...

The second last picture in the first post is amazing.  Who says American's are NOT social fishes? tongue.gif

ps. I have to agree with Ash, you should have destroyed your catch IMO.  It is illegal to release feral species after capture, mind you trout still have a minimum size limit...

I dont know about other states Ducksta but in SA all the size limit means is we cant take it home dntknw.gif But we sort of cant put it back either as by waterwatch laws a permit is needed to do so confused.gif

Its a double edged law here one rubs the other out LOL.gif

Amazing place! I wish I was there.

What are the chances anyway that all fish are hybrids? This place would be good to observe how everything evolves, like one of the other articles mentioned on the forum.

I probably would keep all the fish I caught and have them in my tanks, but I dont think I could smuggle them at the airport. Maybe I could bring them with hand luggage and say that it's my lunch. Really fresh sushi ... laugh.gif

While culling them may be the right thing to do, it seems ludicrous when you see how many there are. At a rough guess, there would be 50 - 100 fighting for the bait along any few square metres of coastline. I'd assume there would probably be millions upon millions in the entire pond.

Culling a few dozen won't achieve anything and will only bring bad karma on myself laugh.gif

rolleyes.gif

I really cant agree with your reasoning Vis, sorry mate but they are feral fish that could have very serious effects on native fish stocks. I am strongly for the culling of introduced species as I have witnessed the problems that tilapia have caused at my favourite fishing spot. Next time take an esky down to the dam, keep your catch and freeze them for a humane death. This way are doing your native fish a huge favour and your karma can breath easy!

Archived