The dangers of burying a heater in substrate

BlakeyBoyR

I recently purchased a resun 100w heater and was looking over the instructions when I noticed it said not to bury the heater in substrate. Now, I already knew not to do this but it got me thinking ... why not?

Obviously I am not talking completely burying a heater under inches of sand, but rather if 2" of the bottom of the heater is in aquaclay (as is in my tank), what are the dangers? The heater still seems to work fine and I havent noticed any ill-effects, so I am not sure what the deal is. Perhaps if the substrate was too tightly packed there may not be enough water flow around the glass and it could crack, but surely that would be reasonably unlikely.

This question is more out of curiosity than anything else. I bet it is something really simple that just hasnt dawned on me, but either way feel free to jump in and tell me what an idiot I am for not seeing the problem.

I have most of my heaters sitting about 2-3 cm in the sand and am having no problems - however, in the past when I was using gravel as substrate I ended up with a heater that had 2-3 cm of gravel permanently stuck to it (dunno how but it somehow welded to the gravel) - I tried to peel it off and ended up breaking the glass of the heater dntknw.gif

So craP can happen smile.gif

I wouldn't stick a heater in substrate. When the heater contacts a surface, that point of contact heats up very hot. I've seen heaters that where the glass is burnt, it gets that hot. I've never had one crack but I wouldn't like to chance it. Also when you get hot spots on your heater means that the heater isn't working effectively as the heat distribution is not even and there is also the possability that you may burn one of your fish. I would say for the risk, it would be easier to just leave it out.

Chuck

I see your point however the heater I have is too tall for the tank. The heater was going to be in a larger tank but the tank broke, and I had to find a replacement quickly, the replacement ended up being significantly smaller unfortunately. I dont have any choice but to have the heater touching some gravel. I suppose one saving grace is that with aquaclay, it has already been fired in a kiln so I doubt any would actually stick to the heater etc.

Thanks for the advice though, I really wasnt sure of the dangers

Then I would put the heater in diagonally. The issue is not the substrate, it is the heater. If the heater cracks and you put your hand in the tank....

Substrate melting to the bottom of the heater should be some sort of indiction as to how hot these become.

Put it diagonal or horizontal if you have to - difference in temp between places on the glass can make it crack, I wouldn't risk it.

If you bury the heater in the substrate water can not circulate around it. Therefore it very hot and it will crack. Also if it cracks and it buried you wont be able to see it and the only way you will find out is when you put your hand in there blink.gif

Josh

I definately see your point. It could be quite dangers. I was hoping to hide the thermometer behind some plants in the corner, however I am sure I could accomplish the same thing if I laid it horizontally across the bottom-back of the tank just above the substrate.

Thanks for all the replies smile.gif

Archived